Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the National Institution for Diabetes, Digestion, and Kidney Disorders.5 million a year new IBS sufferers, 34,000 hospitalizations, 3.5 million doctor office visits, 2.2 million prescriptions, and 400,000 are totally disabled with it.We are definitely not alone!

G

·
Count me in this year as one of the hospitalization, Dr's Office visits, many prescriptions (thank God for insurance) Interesting statistics.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Wow! I've been lucky enough not to have been hospitalized for IBS, but count me in with the doctor's visits and prescriptions! Just imagine how many people don't actually seek treatment for this.------------------"Humor is your own smile surprising you in the mirror." Missycat

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Statistics by themselves don�t often tell the whole story.The statistic is that 5 million people in 1987 had IBS, not that 5 million people get it each year. The next three are also for 1987. For disability, I am guessing that it�s the number of people have missed a certain number of days of work or more, and that's from 1983-1987.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders, IBS affects from 15 to 20% of adults.I'm not making these numbers up. I'm not grabbing them from the Wes and Tracy site, and posting them here, I simply find them and share them, without doing a nation wide poll, I have to assume that they're correct. But I tell you what, I'll forward your ideas to all those people with the PhD's after their names and let them know that they're wrong, cause you said so. I'm sorry, what letter's come after your name, let's see, you graduated with a bachelors in Science so that would make it BS, hmmmmm yep that would make sense.

G

·
Don't put all your faith in someones *credentials*, in anyones credentials. You'd be a fool to do so. Trust your own God given common sense.

G

·
You can add me to the list of many doctor visits and lots of prescriptions and I am in the process of having to have a colonoscopy because of all the bleeding and that will require a hospital visit even if a short one. I was officially diagnosed 7 years ago but I have to have this test now because of the circumstances. I am new to this site and I find it very interesting reading. Thank you for having this site on the Internet. Has been very helpful. Thanks. AMF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.