Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my endo done yesterday for the biopsy, which I had done to check for celiac. My doc told me I have a slight hernia and gastritis. I wasn't suprised with the gastritis but I was with the hernia. What causes hernias? I figured the gastritis was from all the stomach issues I have had over the last three yrs. Does anyone have either one of these and if so what did you do for it?I will have my biopsy results in a week or so for the celiac.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Hiatal hernias are common and often it is just how your anatomy developed. Some people have symptoms of that and others do not.I have an HH but other than my usual GERD treatment I don't do anything for it.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
mrae, the following is a time line for my digestive and bowel problems. I have fleshed this out as an example of how one thing can lead to another.From 1966 on I had increasing acid indigestion. (I was a smoker at the time.)In 1981 I had a major gall bladder attack, passing the stones.In 1983 I had an overwhelming gastritis attack during steak night at the mining camp at which I worked.In 1988 I lit a cigarette and started 10 years of daily D.In 1993 I finally managed to stop smoking. There was no improvement to my digestion or bowels.In 1997 my acid indigestion became a constant every day burning across my stomach.In 1998 I started refluxing at night. (I have no idea if this was an actual hernia or simply an overwhelmed hiatal valve.)In July of 1998 I started taking a flavonoid complex called Provex CV to treat some cholesterol buildups. It turns out it also has anti-inflammatory properties.By September of that year the burning had completely stopped.My indigestion returned to the normal variety. (Eat too many hot sausages, stomach is irritated and burns, then returns to normal as the irritant passes through.)I have never refluxed again.By December of 1999, my D had retreated to such an extent that I declared myself cured.Curiously, by treating the (presumed) inflammation created by all of those cigarettes rather than it's symptoms, that controlled the amount of stomach acid being secreted, allowing my body to reset to a natural balance. Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts