Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GI doctor has been trying all year to get me to try Trulance. I've tried both Linzess (which I hated with a purple passion but nonetheless used for a year until it simply stopped working) and Amitiza (that worked for a few months then stopped, and in subsequent retries it hasn't had any effect at all), so the only prescription option now is Trulance. I currently have a prescription awaiting pickup at the pharmacy but am very reluctant to try it. I realize that with this and just about every medication, prescription or OTC, an individual's experience will vary significantly, but I've read too many reviews that use the phrase "explosive diarrhea" and mention other significant side effects to be excited about this drug. Those things may happen only during a week or two of an adjustment phase, or it could be just the way it works indefinitely. I had resolved to start it soon anyway, but I have several appointments and meetings coming up, and anticipating a worst-case scenario of pure misery every day in which leaving the house would be risky, I'll have to put it off. If I do try it and have horrible diarrhea, should I use an antidiarrheal medication to stop it, or just suffer through it? It seems like it might mess up my system even more to take something in the morning to make me have bowel movements and then take something to stop them just a few hours later, but there's a limit to my tolerance. I sometimes have days with up to a dozen bowel movements (although solid, not liquid) even without taking any prescription drugs, but they only happen about once a month. Every day? No way. Maybe skip a day between doses or try to cut the pills in half? I don't have the prescription, so I don't know what they look like. It is possible this drug might actually be useful and my fears are unjustified, so I'd like to have some ideas for getting through at least a rocky introductory period.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts