Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just registered here but I've had IBS for 2 years already. I don't really experience the things that some of you here do like unexpected bowels. My problem is that if I eat the food that I'm not supposed to eat, I can't take a bowel no matter how hard I try so I have to resort to laxatives. Are laxatives bad for me? I can't allow myself to not use laxatives because I tend to get a migraine if I don't have a bowel when I should. Any advice on how often I should use the laxatives? Any input would be much appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If used in moderation, they aren't a problem. If you use them daily, your body will adjust to the use of these laxatives, which could lead to some serious intestinal blockage and a very "sluggish" colon.Everythings better in moderation anyways, right?Good luck, and welcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How would you describe moderate for using laxatives? Once a week? Once a month? My only problem is that my stool can't get out if I eat the kind of food that I shouldn't be eating. I usually have 3 days every month where I eat anything and don't care about the effects of it. After that I just take a laxative and I don't have to worry about anything. I have loose bowel once in a while but it's not fast and it can wait most of the time. Is what I'm doing ok? How often should you use laxative in a month? thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Depends on the laxative.Osmotic laxatives can usually be used more frequently, even daily as all they do is add water to the stool. A lot of people here find daily magnesium supplements (the regular ones in the supplement aisle) can help keep things regular. Even at the USRDA of 400 mgs (what you should get every day anyway) they find that is enough to get extra water in the stool to keep it going. A full dose of Milk of Magnesia will be a higher dose of magnesium and every so often that is OK, but if you do magnesium regularly you want to stay under 1000 mgs a day. Prescription lactulose and miralax are osmotics as well and can be taken regularly and you don't have the getting too much magenisum issue.With Stimulatory Laxatives (Ex-lax, senna, cascara, aloe latex) we know that daily or near daily use over time can be a problem. Once or twice a month is probably fully in the safe zone. Once a week may be OK, but I would try to do that as the upper limit of what you use. If you find that it stops working, do not up the dose, but back off and use osmotic laxatives only for awhile until things seem to be back to the usual amount of constipation.K.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
my partner takes movicol (flavoured) and senna, occasionally the odd spoon of lactulose (i like that stuff as it tastes like toffee)If i get constipated i try eating some boiled rhubarb with a wee bit of sugar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only laxative that can be found here is Bisacodyl – Dulcolax tablets. I don’t know what kind of laxative is this. Does anyone recognize this? thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.