Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new here and wondered if anyone could give me any answers.Im 21 and have had IBS since i was 15/16.Its been over the last couple of years my worrying started getting worse.I dont really suffer from IBS too badly (something i feel very fortunate about)but whenever i need to go out, usually somewhere new or far away (not exactly perfect for a biker in training )i get stressed (im a terribly nervous person anyway)and then im stuck in the bathroom all morning.Basically im looking for a way to calm my nerves cos that is where my problem lies i believe.I know about the IBS program 100 thing and wondered if this may be my shining star ?Thanks in advance Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hiya. It might help by regularly taking something like a peppermint capsule like Mintec or Colpermin will help your regular digestion and taking something like Imodium Plus will help symptoms of IBS occuring. In regard to the stress side of things, you may want to look into meditation which will help you relax before outings where you would normally become anxious. I'm also told the founder of this forum has a hypnotherapy type CD available which may also be of use. Good luck with it all, there is an answer - its just a matter of finding which one is going to work for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the imput.I use loperamine when going out and used colpermin in my teens but it wasnt really for me.I know my symptoms arent bad and so i think that meditation/relaxation would really do the trick and so wondered what are the most recommended

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm like you. 20 (I'll be 21 this year) and have had IBS since I was about 13 or 14 and my IBS was all anxiety related. What finally worked for me, was Paxil. I took Zoloft first, but didn't like the side effects (but everyone's different. It did really help my IBS). I, then, started Paxil, and it has been a lifesaver. I only take 10mg, which isn't much at all compared to some people. But, it's enough to keep me calm. I haven't had non-food induced D since October of 2005. (I have trouble with dairy products.... they sometimes give me D if I overdo it).I know a lot of people don't want to be on those kinds of pills, but it's the only thing that works for me, and I wouldn't trade 'em for anything. I only wish I'd started them in high school, so I wouldn't have spent "the best years of my life" sitting home alone because I was too scared to leave the house and get D....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just thought I'd say that i'm 26 and I feel for you guys. I like you have had panic attacks a lot lately but unlike you I havne't taken anything for them. thats my next step but it's just nerve racking. I guess I should ask if with the anti depressants you have gained any weight?

·
Registered
4 Posts
im a new member and at 26 have had ibs-d for the past 7/8 yrs also been recently diagnosed with diverticular disease. understand the 'missing' out thing big time! I've struggled recently despite drastic diet and lifestyle changes and new meds and understand the vicious circle of stress/worry and ibs symptoms.Probably going to make a career change as thats a major stressor in my life at the moment. There are alot of natural remedies for anxiety attacks maybe its worth checking it out first, im beginning to believe more in the non prescription drugs thing, something i didnt think id hear myself say

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quote:Originally posted by AllyKatt17:I just thought I'd say that i'm 26 and I feel for you guys. I like you have had panic attacks a lot lately but unlike you I havne't taken anything for them. thats my next step but it's just nerve racking. I guess I should ask if with the anti depressants you have gained any weight?
I had panic attacks when i was at school which led to me missing about 75% of my final year so i got terrible grades so i know where your coming from.Never been one for anti-depressants as i've been prescibed most of em for depression but they have little effect on me.Moderating your diet just becomes second nature after a while and your barely miss the foods you crave so badly at first

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Mark, I think the IBS tapes are extremely helpful for relaxation. I have used them myself and can tell you that 9 months ago I was a bundle of nerves, worried constantly about where the nearest bathroom was, how bad the traffic was on the way to/from work since I ALWAYS had D in the morning (and any other time of the day!), and extremely stressed over going out to do anything. Today, 5 months after the tapes,I still think about it sometimes, but not often, I drive 1 hour each way to work for a new job, eat restaurant meals, pizza, etc, etc and no problems. I used to take 4-6 Immodium daily and still have issues when under stress - today, I generally don't take any, but 1-2 will do the trick if I'm really freaked about something (and then I'm C for the couple of days!). I HIGHLY recommend them!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I should add...I also take GSE, fiber, and calcium, in addition to doing the tapes - I think it's the combination that helps, but I definitely am much more calm and relaxed after the tapes. However, maybe these would help while you are trying to decide on the tapes...?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips.I think i'll have to get some of the IBS tapes cos that sounds just like me.I imagine that combatting my mental barriers will be the biggest step for me and once i've learned to do that i'll be able to go out and live life right

1 - 10 of 10 Posts