Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My name is Becky, I'm 23 years old and was diagnosed with IBS-A in 2006. My problems started when I was doing my exams and starting college. I tried eliminating different food types and it got much better when I gave up dairy. I'm now a gluten free vegan and an undiagnosed coeliac (I can only be tested if I start eating gluten again which isn't really worth the pain it would cause!).

The main problem I have is the anxiety side of IBS. I work as the manager of a charity shop and have trouble when it comes to lunch and knowing when I'll next be able to eat. There are always disruptions during lunch and I can't be sure that the volunteers won't need me. I also struggle when travelling to work (a half an hour train journey with no toilet) in the mornings which are my worst time. This makes it even more difficult when I need to go to meetings which need me to leave the house a lot earlier.

I currently take the highest dose of buscopan (8 tablets a day) but I'm not sure it's working as well as it used to.

I'm hoping to find a better balance between my diet and my work life as the tiniest bit of stress sets my stomach off. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for reading
smile.png

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello Becky,

I'm sorry you are having such horrible problems. I know you won't want to hear this but being vegan and fighting IBS is not going to work. Or, stricly speaking, you might be able to control the IBS, but you will be mal-nourished as all the vegan sources of protein are contraindicated in treating IBS.

Would you reconsider?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you take any other medication?

I'm in the UK and I've been given Mebeverine to help with the pain & the spasms.

Does Buscopan work for you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts