Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with IBS around 2 or so years ago. I think it started in junior high because I had a gassy stomach andit made wierd rumble sounds so that closed me off from wanting to make friends with people. I think it may have started my social anxiety as well. I used to never want to eat around other kids, it increased my anxiety alot and I dont have D but I do have C and with that when it flairs up it can get pretty bad, actually its during a flair up it turns to D. A little more of a back story is that with my IBS I may have formed a fear of eating around people, or it could be the social anixety I don't know. but the just of it was that I stoped going to junior high school and just went to a correspondence program.It worked out alright because when I was around 16 I was admitted to the hospital because they thought I had an eating disorder, since I was 16 and 75 pounds. They put me on some pills and basically had to put a feeding tube in because I refused to eat.. they didnt bother to ask why.. and that was because I had a fear of eating because just prior to that I had gastritis and something else as well.. a severe cause of the stomach flu which basically had me going to the ER every few days. (and it may have been IBS) So the experience was a bit different, I was the only one throwing up in the eating disorder unit and that was because I kind of got too full and theres only one way its going out so yeah not a pleasent expereince. I did however get over that fear because the unit clerk talked with me and I told her what was wrong and she said "if you throw up so what? just eat again".. that little thing changed my life. I now am actually looking to be going to grant macewan to take a Unit clerk course. So thats a little back story of me.. I have always had troubles maintaing my weight. Constantly it would go up and then down and then up again. My last big episode was during college when I had to actually leave because of the huge amount of pain I was in, and they did so many tests and at first they thought it was Crohns disease but now it is classified as IBS which I am ok with. My main problem is trying to keep and maintain weight, if not gain more weight.. when its really bad like it is right now I can only have extremely small meals and I can eat one thing and it may take me an hour to finish just because of all the gas and pain I am in. I am at odds because I dont know how much I should be eating and what is realistic when your having a bad flair up. I am actually not hungry much at all, and then I get full extremely fast even if its only a little bit which annoys me to know end so I end up trying to finish the meal which in turn I think causes indegestation and can make me throw it up. I have actually been throwing up a bit, not always, but it can put a damper on things. I am losing alot more hair in the shower now, and I get sharp pains in my side, pelvic pain, bloating, and gas. I feel pressure under my right chest cavity. I find that swallowing can be painful but not always, and I dont know if I am making that a phobia so I am being cautious and not thinking about it. I know there are certain foods I should stay away from so I am going to trying to start a new list and see what could be a trigger food without making it an anxiety. Right now I am doing CBT, trying to get off my anxiety meds, and may be looking into hypnotherapy. I was diagnosed recently with bronchitis, so I was thinking about maybe looking into getting another scope done or something to see what is going on with this indegestation and pain.Oh and also I am trying to cut down my anxiety pills but may have an addiction to them since I have been on them for 5 years.. Id say for anyone suffering from anxiety try and go for CBT, it has helped in many ways and getting off the pill may actually cause more anxiety then the anxiety you had in the first place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi there and welcome aboard.There are a lot of wonderful people here who can probably provide you with a lot of support. Many of us are (or have been) in the same boat.Anxiety, eating disorders and IBS all tend to run together, by my understanding. It's not at all unusual that you have all three, but they definitely all need to be addressed. Your symptoms (anxiety about eating in front of other people, etc.) are consistent with eating disorders-- but that doesn't mean that there isn't an underlying physical problem or that your issues are "all in your head".You may want to talk to your doctor about Buspar. It's a pretty effective non-addictive anxiety med and great for weaning off of stronger drugs. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wonky colon, thanks for the welcome :(I dont think I have an eating disorder at all, I am actually trying to gain weight the only problem is when I have a flair up it gets pretty bad, with me my eating can be all over the place.. things I used to eat no problem is now causing some difficulties. I guess too much of one thing doesnt agre with my stomach so I have to eat a lot of some little things. Just trying to figure out what I can and can't eat is pretty frustrating. I am actually on domperidone and buscopan but they don't seem to be helping much at all so I am going to have to see my doctor for maybe a new prescription. Is it possible for IBS to get worse? I am noticing other things to like I get full really fast and the upper stomach area is bloated right out, even more then the other area and if sometimes if I try to eat more I just throw it up and its not even close to being digusted at all so I want to get some tests done to see if maybe there is something else going on that needs to be looked at. Right now its hard for me to even finish a small bowl of soup so I am trying to just eat constantly things I know I can but I am still losing alot of weight. I am down to 98 pounds and I am 5'3. Weight has always been an issue for me and its not that I want to be skinny at all, its just I dont know what I can and can't eat, what I can use to help with the pain, and the bloating. I never used to have D just C so I don't know if it got worse and I need to be on some other kind of medication or what but I am going to do everything I can to get better so that I can actually live my life. Oh not sure if I mentioned this before right now I have bronchitis but I think its mostly gone but I do get alot of sore throats and indegestion. The anxiety of eating in front of people is actually a social anxiety, its quite common really and I am working on that. But right now I am just trying my best to get my IBS back in check.But I will talk to my doctor about buspar
The CBT is actually going great and I really enjoy it, it has helped me with alot of my anxiety with going in social situations. And I am looking into hypnotherapy to help me as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.