Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've been suffering with IBS now for about a year. I have IBS-D type. My doctor just prescirbed me Bentyl yesterday. I did some searching on another BB and saw that it wasn't very helpful, and had alot of side effects. So now I'm wondering if I should even take it? Is there anyone who's had a good expeirence with it? I haven't started it yet, I'm waiting to start on Saturday when my husband is home. That way I won't be home alone with our 20 month old son if I should get really dizzy ect...I look forward to getting to know you all! Thanks.Jennifer

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Homebound - Hi. Welcome to the board!Do I know you from Parkview? Just thought you might be the same person. Anyway, good that you came to join us here!I don't have any knowledge or experience of Bentyl - sorry, can't help you there.I'm sure someone will be able to help you out with your question though.This is a great bunch of people here. I'm sure you'll enjoy being with us!

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Homebound, and welcome to the Board. Aren't you from the Parkview Board? I haven't been over there is a while, so don't know what's happening.Re Bentyl, my doc just gave it to me today and I've only taken one pill. It's too early to say how it affects me, though. She said to take 3 a day. The sheet they gave out with it did mention dry mouth and blurry eyes. I've forgotten where I put it just now and don't remember what the other effects are. Oh yes, it did mention sun sensativities and that it could decrease sweating.I'll let you know in a few days what side effects I experience. Meanwhile, it's good to have you here.Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

G

·
Hi Homebound! Welcome. Are you the same Homebound from Parkview? I hope you find the answers you are looking for, just wanted to say hello, and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys! Yep I'm the same Homebound from Parkview. Nice to see you all over here! I just found this board and figured I could use all the support I could get!
JeanG looks like me and you are going to be trying this Bentyl stuff together! I hope it works for us. Let me know how your doing ok? Take care everyone, and thanks for the welcome!
Jennifer

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Hi Jennifer, glad you are surfing both BB's.Bentyl is pretty mild and you should be alright on it, you might have a few side effects in the begining but they should wear off if you have any at all. I took it a long time ago and it worked for a while for me then just kind of stopped working. Then I was taking it once in a while and then finally gave up with it. I hope it works for you though.Here is a link for it. http://www.gicare.com/pated/dicyclomine.htm ------------------ http://webpotential.com/ericibs/index.htm

G

·
i have taken bentyl on and off over the years. I really didn't find too many negative side effects....just the dry mouth, which really didn't bother me. But on the other hand i also didn't find it too helpful. Similar to Eric it now doesn't seem to do much for me. Let me know how you do and good luck.Carol

G

·
Hi Homebound, Welcome to the BB. I take Bentyl on an as needed basis but can take it up to 4 times a day. It is not a miracle but it has definately helped me and made a number of unbearable days, bearable. I haven't had any dry mouth or dizziness but we are all different. It's definately worth a shot to see if it will help you. I waited a while before trying it and after I did I was mad I hadn't tried it sooner.Good luck with it for you and Jean, I hope it helps. Jackie

G

·
Welcome aboard! I have never tried Bentyl, but I do take Librax. It works wonders. Good Luck I hope it works for you.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hi Homebound-I did a trial of bentyl when I was first diagnosed with IBS 9 years ago but it didn't really seem to do anything for me. The only side effect that I had that I can remember was that it gave me a nasty taste in my mouth. I have had better luck with librax but that doesn't mean that the bentyl won't work for you. Any of these drugs can give you a dry mouth, decrease sweating(drink plenty of fluids, especially in the summer)make you tired etc. Many of the side effects will lessen or go away after your body gets used to the med. I hope that you, and Jean do well on the bentyl. Keep us posted
------------------Nancy

G

·
Homebound,Welcome to the board.I have not tried Bentyl...Hoping it helps you.....------------------LET'S ALL PRAY FOR A CURE TO THIS IBS SOON!BETTIE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts