Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I'm new to the board, and I have a question...I've been suffering from IBS in one form or another for about 10 years. I have good months and bad months. However, over the past few months I've had a little bit of change in symptoms. Normally, my IBS includes loose, urgent bowel movements in the morning. Lately, I've been having a problem with diarrhea in the evening, after dinner. I'm also having problems with GERD, and sinus trouble (post nasal drip). Can sinus drainage cause diarrhea? I can't tell if it's that or if it's something I'm eating. I hope it's not the food, the GERD already has severely limited what foods I can tolerate!I've been to DR.s about this, and they keep telling me it's stress and IBS (I"ve recently moved). All blood work and tests so far are normal. I have no blood in my stool, and the diarrhea is easily taken care of with immodium, or goes away on its own in a couple of hours.Thanks!Kerry

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Kerry Welcome to the board.. Since my husband is still basically a C with alternating D .. I am sorry that I cant provide the info that you asked for.. However This will bump you to the top where a more informed member on this subject can help you.. Once again Kerry Welcome to the board and it is wonderful that you are here..
Sheila------------------Before you can make your dreams come true, you must have a dream - unknown

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Welcome kerry, I just have a question. Have you been treated with alot of antibiotics? Studies have shown out of Mayo Clinic that alot of mold growth has been found in nasal passages of some individuals. (I usually manage to hack up a slug of awful looking mucous once daily from post nasal secretions). Antibiotics can affect the flora balance in your colon as well as other places too. If you have had vag and foot fungal infections, this may be more evidence that fungus may be your problem. In this case, an antifungal might make a difference. This was my problem, but it may or may not be yours. I was tested by an Allergist who dealt with food/chemical sensitivities using double-blinded provocative sublingual testing as well as the usual intradermal and blood testing. I was found to be highly sensitive to molds and citric acid additive made from fermented sugars and found in such things as tomato sauce, some salad dressings, fruity beverages, processed potatoes products, and coffee and citrus fruits naturally. The provocative sublingual testing brought on the familiar ache and swelling sensation in my abdomen. The antigen drops took the sensation away. I was put on a special low sugar/no fermented/aged foods diet, and an antifungal (Diflucan). My stools began to be normal in consistency, the constant bloating sensation and aching lessoned (although some of that is still there on occasion), and I also got rid of the proctalgia pain (rectal spasms). Sorry to bore you with my story, but wrote it in case it might be helpful for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the BB, Kerry! You'll find lots of answers and lots of questions here. And many friends!Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kerry, Welcome to the BB! You'll find lots of help and support here. ------------------A little unconditional love can make your whole day!Jackie(C-type)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Kerry,I am fairly new here too but so far it is the best thing that has ever happened to my IBS. Three years ago I suffered from sinus infections every 6 weeks. They would pump me full of steroids and antibiotics to make me well but I would be back in less than 2 months. After it had progressed to the point of wheezing when I breathed I went to a pulmonary doctor who diagnosed and cured me immediately. I had acid reflux which irritated the sensitive mucous lining of my sinus and nose which left me open to infection. Follow all of the reflux advice: Sleep at an angle, do not eat more than 2-4 hours before bedtime, etc. Sometimes I will take a Tums if I feel as if the acid might be bad. I have not had a single sinus infection since then. It may not work for you because every case is different,but I hope it helps. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welcome aboard the IBS BOAT!!! It's a long ride and storms on the horizon... But theres plenty of sunshine here too....------------------Breck (Atlanta) "Chronic Pain""His strength is made perfect in my weakness"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, for the welcome and the thoughts! I have been suspecting that my reflux and sinus problems may be related. I guess I really should try harder to control the reflux.This is a great board, I'm glad i found it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hello Kerry from another Kerry!!You'll find lots of help and understanding at this site!!If you live in Australia, you should go to the Chemist and buy some Buscopan. It stops the bowels cold when the D hits. But only take it when it hits, otherwise you'll have trouble going, if you take it like the packet says. I've tried it, and it works great.
I suffer from both C and D. I am alright at present, but it never lasts for long.Good luck!!!
------------------Love, peace and many groovies...Kerry

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Hi Kerry! Welcome to the board.One thing I've learned about IBS over the years is that you can never be sure of anything. The symptoms can change, they sure can.As for the diarrhea, IF ONLY we knew what causes it!! Then I wouldn't have IBS anymore I guess - if I knew the cause I would probably know the cure!I've had diarrhea for years, started out having it rarely until it became a daily thing, even several times a day. I've found Caltrate Plus to be helpful for the diarrhea. Have you tried it? Not all of us with diarrhea have found success with the Caltrate and to be honest, I've just recently had to up my dose a bit because the effects seemed to be wearing off a bit. I think the extra dose of it is helping me though. And I would still recommend it to people with diarrhea. I still am so much better than I was before I started taking it...Try watching your diet also and perhaps you will get better by eliminating things that seem to trigger your diarrhea. It seems so many things come into play with this IBS...I wish you luck and hope you soon feel better.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Kerry,I am an IBS/GERD person too. Also, the post nasal drip I have found over the years to synchronize with the abdominal cramps and D. Anytime the cramping D come on my nose runs so bad I have to blow it several times during the attack.The medicines used with GERD can often worsen the D and sometimes you may have to choose which is worse. Have you been able to try the Lotronex yet? I am trying it but not sure yet..... I'm getting mixed results.Godd Luck!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clancy,Thanks for the reply...I'm glad I'm not the only one with this disgusting GERD/sinus stuff. No, I haven't tried any meds for the IBS (except immodium), mostly because I really haven't had much of a problem with it for the past couple of years, until now. Also, what do you do when you alternate so wildly between D and C? I never know what to take, it changes so fast!!!Kerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.