Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around here & found so much info, I thought I'd come out of lurking.After reading all your stories, I'm embarassed to even write because you guys have been suffering for so much longer, but I don't know where else to turn.On & off I've had some GI problems with diarrhea, but not all the time and it was usually an incident & not consistent. Last month, I underwent open heart surgery. Ever since then, I haven't been able to "go" normally.Basically, I eat, and nothing happens for like a week. I don't feel like I have to go, it's just nothinghappens. Where the heck does the food go if I'm not going?Then, about once a week, I'll all of a sudden start getting rumblings. The first time, the D was immediate, and lasted for 5 hours ( I had to sleep in the bathroom because there was no sense leaving it). There was some nausea too, but I didn't throw up. That's what led me to thinking perhaps IBS because from what I've read, nausea is related to IBS.Last Sunday(a week after the first bout), about 4AM, I woke up with a slight stomachache, which over 2 hours progressed to really big rumblings, but I couldn't go at all. When I finally went, 2 tortuous hours later, it was D. Also, I became nauseous during the 2 hours nothing happened, and did throw up.So, I have increased my water intake, and bought Citrucel. I've been taking it since Monday, upped my fiber (not drastically because I don't want to shock my body), but here we are on Friday, and absolutely nothing has happened since 6AM Sunday night/Monday am.I would go to a GI, but from the sounds of all your stories, most of them don't take it seriously. I understand my body has been through a trauma, but I did see that IBS can be triggered by trauma or stress, both of which has been present the past 6 weeks undergoing open heart surgery.I am not on any medications; I was on Endocet, which can cause constipation, but was also taking Colace (stool softener) to counter the Endocet. I am off both of them and - still nothing.I can totally understand all of your posts. I am becoming anxious as the days go on & nothing happens, which I know will not help matters.So, to recap. To try and right myself, I am:-drinking more water-taking 4 Citrucel tablets with lots of water every day.-taking 1 acidophilus pill.-added more fiber to my diet (nuts & beans for now). -Question - is Metamucil better than Citrucel?Is taking the powder more effective than the tablets? Is this a correct path I am on? And how bad is it to only go to the bathroom only once a week?(I should note, even on my most regular schedule, I'd only go like 2, maybe 3, times a week).Any help you might provide is so appreciated.Thank you so much for listening, I feel less anxious already just having people who understand.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Welcome the the board. You may ask your doctor if you can take some magneisum supplement this will help with constipation. It helps to bring the water to the intestines and helps to relieve the constipation. How much is a guess but start with a low dose and increase until you can find what will work.Check with you doctor first.Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Remember even over the counter stuff has side effects. I don't know how old you are but are you taking calcium for you bones this can cause constipation. So check the side effects of even your over the counter meds.Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
You may want to use a calcium that has a 2 to 1 ratio of calcium to magnesium. This can be calcium citrate form easier on the stomach since you need the calcium and need the magnesium to help prevent the constipation.Vitamin A C E and magnesium in a vitamin can cause stomach upset and diarrhea.But if you are constipated you may do well with a multi vitamin.Linda

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm on day 6 and still nothing BM-wise. Where is all the food that I am eating going?How concerned should I be?PS - Thanks for you reply Linda - I will speak to my doctor about magnesium.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.