Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I am new to this forum, but not to IBS-C. I have had it for years but I never realized what it was. I thought it was normal to go to the BR once a week and that everyone was constipated on a regular basis.Anyhow, I'm now 38 (female) and in the past year my constipation has been awful. I went on a diet (finally!), lost 20 pounds and have kept it off for the past 8 months. However, it seems like ever since I lost weight my constipation has been worse than ever. I usually wind up taking MOM tablets, Colace and Dulcolax every day, otherwise I can't go at all. I feel like everything moves through OK but when it gets to the rectum it gets stuck or something and it won't come out (sorry if TMI but this is the truth). I went to a doctor and he ran some tests but could find nothing wrong. He prescribed Miralax, which I took for a while, but after a few months it quit working.Des anyone have any ideas what might be causing my rectal problem? I was doing some reading online where they mentioned pelvic floor problems, but as I've never had children or major surgery I don't think this applies to me. I try to eat healthy, plenty of fiber, fruits and veggies every day. I do overdo it on the coffee (I am trying to drink more decaf and less regular these days) and I smoke about a pack a day. I am planning on quitting for good once I get this stupid constipation under control, as I can only handle one thing at a time.Please, if anyone has any ideas, (besides taking fiber supplements, as I have tried them and they seeem to make my constipation and bloating worse), especially dietary modifications, I would really love to hear them. I tried Zelnorm, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.
I look forward to reading and learning more about IBS-C and hopefully finding something that will work for me besides taking daily laxatives as I am afraid of becoming dependent on them.Best wishes from bookyone

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi bookyone,I just wanted to welcome you to the forum
I too am new, but have been suffering with IBS-C for nearly two years. I am still trying to find ways to ease the IBS but at the moment i'm finding any thing i eat or drink is flaring up my symptoms
I am afraid that i am already dependent on laxatives, which is the last thing i wanted. I am taking Movical daily and have found this to be the only thing that is keeping me regular!Anyway, i hope this forum can help shed some light onto IBS-C and i hope you find something that will work for you

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi bruisedviolet,Thanks for the welcome.
I know how you feel, without laxatives I don't go for days on end and the distention and cramping is quite painful. Plus there's the fact that I can't eat anything when I feel distended and I really don't want to lose any more weight. I hope you can find a good solution as well. This IBS-C is hell to live with...Best wishes from bookyone

1 - 3 of 3 Posts