Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just found this forum through a google search.I'll try and be brief, I'm a 23 year old male from the UK and have just found out I possibly have IBS.For the past 6 months I havn't had a normal solid bowel movement and have suffered from bad diarrhea at times. So much to a point where I'm scared to go places in case I need to go, and in turn the worrying about it seems to make it worse.As you can imagine, this is seriously hampering my life. A job at the moment is out of the question and I'm pretty miserable.Just wondering if anyone has any advice? My doctors has given me something called Mebeverine yesterday but there's no improvement so far...Does anyone else have any tips or anything?Thanks for listening.D.

·
Registered
253 Posts
D., Welcome and be sure to look at the multitude of threads and topics available to you on this forum. Since this seems new for you as a diagnosis, I should point out that IBS is a "rule-out" diagnosis meaning that you have been TESTED for just about everything else under the sun. Tests should have included blood and stool(three in row) to test for bacteria, bugs and parasites, perhaps an upper and lower GI with samples of tissue and fluid and even a small bowel scan. These are just the basics to be sure you did not catch something or have a disease. The stool tests and I mean TESTS would have been critical!!! Things like severe pain, bloody diarrhea, fever could indicate something besides IBS and demand more extensive GI studies. Now the good news: If you do indeed have IBS-D and you keep reading and trying things, eventually some combination will control your symptoms enough to go out and get your life back. People with IBS-D have found relief from probotics, dietary changes/elimination of dairy or wheat or other food groups/fake sugars; or taking antibiotics, antispasmodics, antidepressants, using biofeedback, finding and taking supplements such as calcium and vit D, and a host of strange and common herbals too long to list here. I personally have IBS-D with SIBO (bacterial overgrowth). I take a specialized probotic with only the bifiobactrium strains because my stool sampleS were found to be missing this important gut flora entirely. I take antibiotics for one week every month because my small bowel does not clean itself properly. Aside from that I have taken antispasmodics and antidepressants when I've been really bad. Also, I take Imodium, Calcium and a very high D supplement since I am deficient and I eat all organic everything. So, long story short, if you have not had more tests, you may need them since diarrhea for SIX months that came on suddenly is cause for a doctor to dig deeper than saying it is IBS-D. I am not a doctor but I do have this conditon and I work in healthcare. The STOOL tests would be critical!!! If you are not getting the medical care you deserve, find someone more aggressive who will be your partner in health!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.