Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just officially diagnosed with IBS this weekend, although I've had what I consider to be fairly mild symptoms my whole life. My symptoms have always been diarrhea sometimes with severe cramping and sometimes without cramping, it usually comes on quickly and requires immediate proximity to a bathroom. It hasn't been debilitating, just annoying for the most part. Until recently. Last March, I had a strange attack that started out like a typical IBS episode with diarrhea and severe cramping, but then I ended up having flushing, heart palpitations and fainting. I woke up cold with low blood pressure. Then I came down with a bad case of hives. This exact same attack happened 5 days later.I made the rounds of doctors, ruled out food allergy, and we basically gave up with a diagnosis. Fast forward to this past December when I had another attack that was exactly the same.I returned to my doctor who referred me to a GI, who, after normal bloodtest results, colonoscopy, and endoscopy, has told me that he thinks it is IBS. He has prescribed symax duotab, which he described as an antispasmodic. He wants me to take it 2x a day for 2 months and see if my symptoms subside and to see if I have any more of those "attacks".Sorry for the long version. Actually, that was the short version, believe it or not!!!My point of this post is for one, to introduce myself. Hi!And two, I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced an attack like I describe.And three, if anyone has any experience withthis medication, the symax duotab (hyoscyamine sulfate).Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
hi there sorry to here your havin a bad spellim in the uk so not sure if ur medecines you can get where you are but before xmas i was experiencing the exact same as you passing out with the pain usually before the fiarrea accured i think it is pretty uncommon for most people to pass out i think its more of a pain tolerence and i know mine is pretty low i take buscapan which so far seems to be the only thing which stops the passing out coming on as it is a antispamodic so cramping is not half as bad so no passing out since xmas so farall the tests i have had over the time always come back clear so kust left with it being ibshope you can get releif soon as i know i found the passing out the worst and scariest as i often hit my head on sink or bath if its any help and if you have a bit of notice pad your bathroom out with towels or cushions so you dont hurt yourself if you pass out.which is what i tried to do a wet flannel can help cools you quick sips of water while in the pain and any distraction type thearapy you can think of counting reading can sometime overide the restsometimes its to strong and i would happen no matter what i did but worth a try until some meds work for you

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I think one important thing would be do journal your daily foods and activities medications for a couple of months and see if you have another "attack" like that, you may have some clues to go by from your journal. I can't say that I've ever heard of anybody getting hives with their ibs attack; I have read of a few fainting. If it were me, I don't think I would be satisfied with a diagnosis of IBS. I'm not saying you don't have the IBS, it just sounds like there could be something more to it. I hope you find some helpful information on this board that you can use and welcome! Know that you are not alone!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.