Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thi there i have just been told by my doc i have ibs i have had symptoms of this for a while but hearing the doc comfirm this is a bit of a blow and has sent me to have blood tests to rule out other things as well i have been given meds to help me with this and it means tot lifestyle changes in what i eat and when it hard to get my head round all of this i am glad i found this forum and hope i can learn from others i have had a really bloated tummy for a while now and last couple of months my size 12s have felt tight that why i have acted on this and went to see my gp and this is what he has told me all i need to now is work out how to pick foods that dont give me a ibs attacks and for help for my bloated tummy to go down somewhat anyway thats my story in brief and hello all

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forums! Sorry you too have IBS, but glad you found us!And YAY for having acted on this and been working on getting better! If you haven't already, starting a food/symptoms journal can be a good idea -- it helps to remember and to find patterns :)Here's a link to an example journal page: http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/Journal.pdfHope you find great ways to manage very soon! xoxo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, welcome to the forums! Sorry you too have IBS, but glad you found us!And YAY for having acted on this and been working on getting better! If you haven't already, starting a food/symptoms journal can be a good idea -- it helps to remember and to find patterns :)Here's a link to an example journal page: http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/Journal.pdfHope you find great ways to manage very soon! xoxo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there and thx for the welcome
i spent 2 hours in the supermarket yesterday looking for all these food i could have to help with my ibs but i am so confused lol i have started with thing like low in fat and wholemeal stuff ie such as pasta and bread but i think i need for learn alot more about whats good for me and also i have been thinking of herbel teas etc to help with my ibs such as fennel and mint what are ppls views on trying this is it worth tryin and do thay work i wanna know this before i spend money on things that might be of no use and be wasted.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Diet and IBS tends to be a lot of trial and error and there is no one size fits all approach.If you tend to diarrhea it may be worth reducing starches (and a low carb approach can help some people drop some weight if that is adding to the tight clothes at all, but like IBS what diet will let you lose weight varies a lot as different people will eat less on different plans). Starches also tend to increase bloat for some people so some IBSers of any type do better with fewer starchy foods and more of a protein with cooked veggies for meals approach.Fennel is traditionally used for gas/bloat and peppermint relaxes smooth muscles (antispasmodic) so they can be good.High fat, rich, fried, greasy foods can bloat any human after a meal. There was a small study awhile back where they used prescription pancreatin (you can get it as a dietary supplement) to reduce post eating bloat in some people. Smaller, leaner meals, often eaten every 3 hours or so seem to be easier on the GI tract than skipping meals, or eating larger, fattier meals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts