Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi, i just joined the forum
i'm 24 years old and i've had ibs for as long as i can remember. it started when i was in elementary school with really bad constipation and stomach cramps and hasn't stopped since. recently, it's gotten a lot worse (tingling stomach-almost feels like something is crawling and scratching in there, stomach pain around the bellybutton-it almost feels like knots all across the line around my bellybutton, already bad constipation getting worse, headaches, plus some diarrhea, getting weird red spots on my chest, stomach spasms, headaches, bumps on my arms, white spots on skin if anyone else has that, and throwing up because i get so "backed up") so i decided to join the forum because im tired of dealing with this in private, even though i was diagnosed a child and everyone i've met seems to think ibs is "no big deal" and i'm tired of doctors thinking im crazy and giving me tons of antibiotics, antiparasitic meds, and laxatives that seem to make everything worse and also trying to drink detox teas to make the pain go away. i eat lots of fruits, veggies, and grains and drink water and even do yoga and nothing seems to help. anyway, i look forward to getting to know everyone, and i wish you luck in curing your tummy troubles!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum
I'm new too. I'm 25 and I've had IBS for four years. I don't really know yet what the consensus is here on how to deal with it, but after a lot of fumbling around with theories and treatments and so forth I've come up with a plan to deal with it. I posted it as a topic here. Basically, I decided that I couldn't figure out which foods were triggering my IBS unless I eliminated everything except rice, corn, bananas, spinach, lactose free milk and yogurt. By eating the same thing every day I could isolate the variables and slowly add new foods one by one. Also I've come to believe that bacterial imbalance has a lot to do with IBS, I've been reading up on this. A healthy person has a mixture of good and bad bacteria in their gut, and good bacteria like bifidobacteria and lactobaccilus keep the bad bacteria in check. I think IBS may result when for whatever reason your good bacteria become outnumbered by the bad ones. When the bad ones take up residence, it can be very hard to dislodge them. That's why IBS is a chronic condition. So therefore what you need to do is take a really strong probiotic, making sure it has bifidobacteria since those are the most important, while eating a diet that deprives the bad bacteria of food while simultaneously providing the good bacteria with food. The way I figured out to do this is to restrict your starch intake to rice and corn, which are digested before they reach the bacteria. Also avoid excessive fructose, lactose, and beans/legumes because those also feed the bad bacteria. And take an acacia fiber supplement, which provides food for the bifidobacterium. Your diet of lots of fruits and veggies and grains may be feeding the bad bacteria, if my theory is correct. If you restrict your fruit to just bananas, they have a good balance of glucose and fructose so they are digested before reaching the bacteria. And I restricted my veggies to spinach because likewise, it is digested before reaching the bacteria. Also I've found that taking peppermint pills 10 minutes before meals, combined with antidepressants, almost completely eliminated the pain for me. Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts