Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is my first post so please bear with me if this has all been covered before.I am a 25 year old male and recently several people have complained about what can only be described as a fecal odour, as you can imagine I was horrified and this has truly ruined my life.It seems that this has been an issue for some time and despite a hygiene routine that would put a surgeon to shame the problem persists. After being poked and prodded in ways that would make a hooker blush by my GP I have been diagnosed with IBS however I believe that the problem must be more serious, how can it not be if I really do smell like I sh!t my pants.Has anyone else suffered from or heard of fecal odour from IBS ?Can this be treated or cured ?I can honestly say that at this stage I cant face life if this is going to continue, every day I wake up and wish I was dead. At 25 I should be in the prime of my life instead of living as a total recluse.In every other way I am perfectly healthy, im handsome and after years in the gym i have a solidly built body, i can run 9 miles in less than an hour, I have put my heart and soul into living as clean and healthy a life as possible, WHY IS THIS HAPPENING AND HOW DO I STOP IT ?Honestly guys I need some help, im close to the edge and to be honest the abyss isn't an entirely unpleasant prospect after all what's the point in living if you cant interact with other people, how can you find love if you smell like sh!t.Its a truly sorry state of affairs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wish I had an answer for you, some of us have been living with this for a long time. I'm going on 15 years. Does it sometimes feel like when you go to the bathroom, you don't get it all out? That's the root cause of my problem, the "how" but not the "why".Also, I do empathize with your suicidal thoughts. I doubt there is anybody here with our type of problem that hasn't seriously considered it at one time or another. What keeps me from taking that step is hope, that one day I might be able to find a cure. In the end, that's really all we have.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi and welcome.Have you gone to a GI doctor? What kind of tests have you had that they decided on IBS? You sound awfully depressed and it might be a good idea to ask your doctor for some anti-depressent medication. It's not just used for depression anymore it can also help relieve IBS symptoms. I don't have the odor as one of my problems so hopefully someone else will give you some advice on that. I have had IBS for over 20 years and it is something you can cope with and learn to live with. I have me 'why me' times but otherwise have a good life. Best of luck to you. Mindy

·
Registered
18 Posts
First of all..wow to the 9 miles in less than an hour!Now I'm sorry to hear about your problem, rarely I suffer from odours but mostly my thingy is about feeling bloated all the time.cool_andy14###hotmail.com

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is the odour associated with gas, or with other IBS symptoms, or unexplained? I've heard that some people, despite their hygiene habits, naturally have paricularly offensive B.O. because of their body chemistry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys.ColonCombat: PM received and replied to, cheers mate.I do often feel like I am never empty but strangely I also feel hollow on ocassion.Mindy: I have been to hospital recently to investigate abdomen pains after an horrific endoscopy revealed a hiatus hernia I was also told my symptoms were classic IBS. I have yet to go for a Colonoscapy or see a nutritionist, at this stage I am cutting dairy from my diet but any other suggestions will be truly appreciated. As far as antidepressants are concerned its something I have considered however this condition has already stolen a boyhood dream of serving with the Royal Marines and any record of depression would be an automatic bar.Crazyartist: lol cheers mate, this is the thing that is really annoying I have been training for the RM for a few years and im easily the fittest person I know, what a cruel twist of fate.Squirrel: To be honest my gas doesn't really pong, my diet is clean no processed meats of junk food this problem seems to come and go.Here is my problemI don't do drugsI don't smokeI only drink once a month (Guinness)I don't eat junk foodI don't eat processed or reformed meatsI don't eat a lot of red meatI do eat a lot of OatsBransWholemeal Pasta/BreadBrown RiceWhite meatsFishVegetablesFruitsI drink 2-3 Lt of water a day.I shower with clinical precision once in the morning after evacuation then once again every time I excersize and once again at night (this can result in 4-5 times a day) after showering I spray myself with Lynx deodorant and Jean Paul Gautier Aftershave.My clothes don't smell (Trousers/Boxers)Yet people make comments and turn there noses up at me.I'm seriously, seriously pissed off with the situation and finding myself getting increasingly irate at this cruel world and the sh!tty hand ive been dealt.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I applaude your extremely healthy lifesyle. For me if I eat fresh fruit of veggies I get the smelly gas immediately. I can drive my husband and kids out of a room really quick. I just avoid healthy stuff and I don't get the stinky ones. Strange that I feel better when I eat junk huh? I hope you get some answers soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Ecosse,I can empathize with everything you just said because I'm going through the exact same thing. I'm a young woman in my 20's, I work out regularly and I'm slender and healthy. I eat all the right things, I avoid junk food, fast food and trans fats. I live on a vegetarian diet that's based largely on rice and vegetables. I've had this problem for about seven years now. It's a depressing, isolating problem to have, and I haven't found anything that helps it.I bathe 2-3 times a day. I love good-smelling soaps and perfumes. And yet I smell worse than everyone around me. Sometimes I get angry when I see people neglect their health, eating garbage as if they were going to live forever with no apparent gastrointestinal consequences. Guys with guts that hang over their genitals who sweat through their shirts smell better than I do. Heifers who eat chocolate for breakfast and are too lazy to walk up one damned flight of stairs smell better than I do and make comments about me in earshot. I wish I had advice on how to cope with all of the feelings associated with this, because I'm still struggling to deal with them myself. The only thing I can tell you is it's not impossible to date when you smell this way. Some people honestly don't care about smells. I'm seeing a man right now who shares a lot of my interests and he's never commented on my odor. I don't believe the cliche that "there's someone out there for everyone", but I do believe that the world is a complex place and that if you're a decent man and you look hard enough, chances are you'll find people who care enough about you to overlook this flaw. Let everyone else b*tch about your smell; you've got a right to walk the earth. You can't let a fear of being offensive keep you from doing things. Nobody who ever made a nasty comment about your smell lost sleep worrying about it, but I'm sure you have. You can only do what's in your power- taking care of your body and trying out different medications and therapies, and it sounds like you're doing a great job of the former. Good luck, and keep us informed about how you're doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.