Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I have been suffering from IBS for a long time. This is my first post in this forum. As we all know that the food we take is the main reason for IBS. I am wondering if can we control the symptons by taking fluids insted of solids? I am not taking about completly depending on fluids but atleast when we have to go out for out door activities for a longtime. If some one has experimented on this could you please share your experiences? Please take a look at this site also which I came across while I was surfing the net. http://www.scdiet.org/1about/ Thanks-Sud

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I can see many people rushing to their typewriters debating your statement that the food we take is the main reason for IBS. I thhink it would be more accurate that it is what we eat that could alleviate our symptoms.Having skimmed through the link you posted, I must say that, despite your idea being very sensible, you will be hard pressed to find anything high calorie within the dietary restrictions. You can't have milk/rice protein drinks. Drinks such as Ensure and Fortisip are out. Most drinks are sweetened, either naturally or artificially.You're allowed soy, aren't you? I forgot about that one. That might be a viable option for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Arnie,Thanks for correcting the first line in my post.>I can see many people rushing to their >typewriters debating your statement that the >food we take is the main reason for IBS. I >thhink it would be more accurate that it is >what we eat that could alleviate our symptoms.Also, thanks for suggesting the Soy milk, I will try this for a day or two and will post my experiences. I am afraid if this dosen't work (If I don't get all the nutrients I need) I may get weak in the week days which is not good
Are there any other high calorie drinks available or any recipies to make them? Here is one which gives 1070 calories "Chocolate-Peanut Butter Shake" which I got from the above mentioned website.1/2 c. heavy whipping cream 3 Tbsp creamy peanut butter 3 Tbsp chocolate syrup 1 1/2 c. chocolate ice cream Blend in blender.I have decided to try this recipe also, but will there be any side effects because of this? As this diet is only for short periods (When we have to go out doors) we don't have to worry about Fat content I guess?ThanksSud

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Perhaps what I should have said was that certain food might trigger your symptoms, so should be avoided.I'm rather confused now, because, after re-checking the diet guidelines, I see that all dairy (apart from certain cheeses), sugar and chocolate are disallowed. I didn't have time to check for the recipe for the shake, but it would seem to be a forbidden food.By the way, I don't use soy myself, but if it is the only type of protein drink available, you could test it to find out if you can tolerate it.If you go on the diet, maybe you could give up the most likely culprits first such as dairy, gluten, yeast, etc, leaving you, say rice, which is a useful way to have food on the road. If that doesn't help, you could continue with the diet to the letter of the law.I take boiled rice and a can of tuna with me to work as well as rice protein powder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.