Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for causes still... About 2 years ago, when I first started seeing symptoms of IBS, G and D. I was on a very high fiber diet and high calorie diet too. I was working out a lot, running lifting weights, was very fit but heavy.By high fiber I mean tons of cabbage, veggies of all kind, huge salads, stuff like that. I still ate healthy meals too, but the high fiber was everyday for months. Now from research, I hear that bad bacteria feeds on undigestible foods (fiber) and there are studies saying that high bacteria count is linked with IBS. Also, is it possible I could have damaged my digestive tract with too much fiber? I had some pretty explosive "movements" at the time. I thought it was great, very cleansing, but looking back maybe it wasn't all that good. Any thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I believe through all the stuff I have been reading that IBS can be caused in many ways but I think the root of all is some type of bad bacteria. Mine started after a really bad case of food poisoning. If bad bacteria feeds on fiber in your system that is close to the same thing. I think there are links everywhere. I don't know the answer though.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Native Ugandans eat humongous amounts of fiber, but very few of them have IBS. This doesn't necessarily mean that such a diet prevents IBS, but it is an interesting correlation to be ware of.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When I was younger I was put on large amounts of fiber for cholesterol control (which was up because of birth control pills, but we didn't know that until I went off of them). I didn't get IBS severely until many years laters, so I don't think it was a factor.K.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
HOW DID YOU DO IT?! I need to increase my calories and fiber and just can't do both. I weigh 72 pounds as an 18-year old 5'2" male and have tried boosting both, but it's just too bloating. It seems high-fiber foods are often low-calorie "diet" foods. What did you eat? I would love to be able to increase fiber and calories without getting too bloated and slowing down my GI tract. I want the "explosions" as they relieve bloating for me. Please let me know what you ate to do this!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One way to boost calories, esp if you feel too bloated to eat (BTW digestive enzymes taken at the beginning of a meal relieve this symptom for me) is to drink Ensure. This is a supplement for people who for one reason or another (usually something medical, like when my Dad had radiation for lung cancer and his appetite was depressed) aren't getting enough calories.A friend of mine was severly underweight and was having problems eating enough to gain weight. She added an Ensure with each meal, and one at bedtime.They are reasonably tasty. I don't add them for the calories, but if I am gonna be really busy I'll have them on hand so if I need to eat I can do it.If you wanna add both fiber and calories to your diet you need to eat both goodly quanties of high fiber foods AND a good number of high calorie low volume foods. Also a registered dietian should be able to help you find foods that will get you where you want to go, and how many calories a day you will need to eat to gain weight.HTHK.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can only tell you my case. I keep track of my calories as I'm on a weight loss/exercise program. So I know exactly how much fiber, among other things, I have daily. I have IBS-D and whenever I go over 16 or 17 grams of fiber per day I get D the next day or even the same day. The cancer society suggests we get at least 25 grams. I can not do that or I'd be in real trouble! And our ancestors took in over 100 grams per day and were quite healthy I guess. But we're a different society and a different breed. I can only tell you that high fiber is the wrong thing at least in my own personal case. Others may have a totally different experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts