Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone knows about the connection between high fibre diet and regular BM's and IBS. I found this article linking high fibre diets to mental health."People who eat a high fibre diet are happier and have more energy than those who do not, according to scientists in the UKA study of the effect of high fibre breakfast cereals on fatigue shows for the first time an association between fibre and mental health, researchers said.Wholemeal cereals, when eaten regularly, exert a positive effect on a person's mood. Professor Andrew Smith of Cardiff University found.High fiber eaters were alkso less stressed and could preocess information quicker than those who consume a low fiber diet, he said.The research adds a certain allure to baked beans and bran, renowned up untik now, for their less than glamorous physical effects.Professor Smith said the four week study compared volunteers, aged from 30 tro 80, eating 40 gms of high fiber cereal each day with those on a "normal" breakfast. The cereal eaters showed fewer cognitive difficulties and lower depression scores. Their diet was assoiciated with a reduction in fatigue of around 10 percent.'Physical benefits of a high fiber diet have been widely acknowledged amongst health care professionals for many years. ' He said further research was needed to clarify links between fiber intake, digestive function and mental health."Like we need to be told that there is nothing like regular BM's to put us in a less stressed mood for the day!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Unfortunately, all of the bran and high-fiber cereals make me ill. It's not so much a gas or colon issue, but they stick in my stomach and mouth forever. Just like onions or garlic, I can taste the crunchy high-fiber cereals (paricularly bran) ALL day long, and I have a "stuck" feeling. All day, my stomach feels full with a feeling of nervous energy and a constant, uninterrupted 12-hour adrenaline rush. I go through the entire day until bedtime feeling as though I had just finished eating.On the other hand, soft breads and muffins (those that are 100% whole grain and/or very high in fiber) tend to be easier to handle. I would guess perhaps the crispiness and crunchiness can slow down the GI tract and/or delay stomach emptying. Not to mention, it stays stuck in my teeth, mouth and gums all day despite adequate brushing and flossing.Anyway, I know that high-fiber breakfasts and diets work for MANY people and could benefit a number of people, especially IBS sufferers. I am probably among the few who would not respond well in the study.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Greetings from rustic Valdosta, Georgia!________________________________________"People who eat a high fibre diet are happier and have more energy than those who do not, according to scientists in the UK"________________________________________I may indeed have more energy if I ate a high fiber diet, and I would need it to keep up with my constant lengthy visits to the loo. I was one of those "eat more fiber for your IBS" torture victims for 30 years....it is a bit paradoxical that I eat a diet very low in both soluble and insoluble fiber and have much better function than if I introduce more(soluble or insoluble fiber). I am happy this way...but I fail under the study protocol. _____________________________________"The cereal eaters showed fewer cognitive difficulties and lower depression scores. "_____________________________________I can vouch for this. In fact I have always described it as "The Cocoa Puffs Effect". Where the hell did I put them glazed donuts??? Eat well. Think well. Be well. Don't swell.MNL

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I wonder if people eating a high-fiber diet experienced less depression and less fatigue and better cognitive functioning in this study because one big source of fiber - wholemeal grains - is also a good source of the B vitamins?(Us M.E/CFS types know the importance of the B vits!!
) Interesting, thanks for posting.

G

·
Mike....I have never heard Valdosta described as "rustic"...
you're being kind. I think there may be some validity to the claim for high fiber diets...and the B vitamin connection could indeed be a factor...So many people are turned off from high fiber diets because of the initial bloating and gas that plague many people. I suggest a gradual intake of increasingly high fibre foods..I wouldnt start out with pure bran cereal..or a bran muffin....put start with light wheat bread for sandwiches and toast, small servings of oatmeal, yellow squash, etc....

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Just goes to show there is an exception to every rule! Okay 2 exceptions
. I on the other hand cannot live without high fiber specially due to the constipating side effect of a medication I take. High fiber and water is my mantra these days. I know whole wheat fiber works and I will not have any meal without it. I believe high fiber doesn't work in a lot of people because they don't take enough water with it. In addition to starting slow, people need to drink atleast 10 glasses of water a dayAs for the cognitive effects- The Cocoa Puffs effect- that's too funny...I did not have whole wheat fiber recently due to travel though I am back on it. Do my posts suddenly seem more intelligent or something?
. But on the other hand nothing can perhaps compensate for my B12 deficiency.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ohnometo I am still In India. Perhaps i too should start my posts with "Greetings from ..." like Mike. I was in Hyderabad last time we spoke and now I am in Bangalore. As for safe and sound-I am with my sister andI have to be back home by 8:00 - 8:15 pm in the night which is 10:30 am USA time due to my sister's belief that Bangalore is dangerous after that time! I can't wait to get to Bombay, my home"town" where even though it is a big city, I feel perfectly safe and comfortable to walk the streets at any time of the night. Oh well! On to Bomaby...Thanks for asking Ohnometo. I won't be back In the States before the end of July. Can't wait!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.