Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this in the paper...that main ingredient in our sodas, breads, and countless other things, may be a big weight gain factor along with carbs, it seems some people are trying to shift the evil carbs towards fructose as the bad guy...either way, another reason to limit it,eh?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Does your article say why fructose is fatteningI think what your article says is true specially for fructose malabsorbers which is quite a high percentage of the popuation.Obesity in fructose malabsorbers is due to disturbed tryptophan resorption . Which means fructose malabsorbers are more depressed too beause of this..TThe transport of tryptophan is increased with increased carb consumption so that it can be converted to serotonin, melatonin etc. Depressives therefore crave sweets. This will lead to a vicious cycle of short term improvement of depression but due to the disturbed tryptophan resorption it will lead to a long term unavailability of tryptophan and a craving for more sweets and depression and obesity. Reduction of fructose is the only intervention available.It results in improving tryptophan resorption resulting in a higher tryptrophan availability, less depression and less craving for sweets containing fructose

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depressed people crave sweets? I have diagnosis clinically depressed, and have noticed an almost hatred for sweets...I cant stand chocolate or anything rich..Maybe I need to be on a med that does the opposite of what depression meds do? About the article, it didnt get technical, just led the reader to a new branch of the diet tree..

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
depressives with fructose malabsorption crave sweets and get into a vicious cycle of consuming and needing more due to disturbed tryptophan resorption.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts