Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why worst IBS ever seems to hit me in the car. I can't even count how many times I've found myself driving somewhere, usually in a rush, and usually in busy traffic, and almost always in the morning.. and it hits me like the worst feeling in the world. I can't work myself through it for a little while, but each time the spasm hits I feel like I am going to go in my pants and I just feel so ill.. I can usually work through at least four spasms.. but then it gets unbearable. The only thing that seems to ease it is getting out of the car and walking around. Even talking about it gets my stomach going. I just don't understand why it happens to me like this. I don't know what I can do to prevent it. But I almost thought it was going to be a serious accident this morning.. and that is no way to live.
I've got enough problems in my life, and worst of all if I had thought I was doing a lot better. Just needed to vent a little.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The same thing happens to me. I don't know if its the motion of the car stimulating my bowels or if i am just nervous that there is no toilet in the car. I have my learners permit and i have for 2 years and i get nervous when i drive that i will get sick and not be able to control the car. I try and take deep breaths but it doesn't work the greatest. I want to go and get my lisence but i am scared that i will get nervous taking the road test, and get stomach pain and mess up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I didn't get my lisence until I was 18 almost 19. I definitely have a lot of anxiety around driving, but the funny part is most of it is unconscious. It's not like when I am in the car I think scary thoughts and freak out.. it's just that I apparently have this slight and steady anxiety building up that occasionally will get really bad and hit me out of nowhere. It's just a pain in the butt, literally.

·
Registered
584 Posts
With me, it's all the bouncing around. On bad days I can feel every tiny little bump on the road, it's like my guts are rapidly shaking.I also don't play friendly with the seatbelt. It aggravates the hell out of me.The fear of being nowhere near the bathroom can also be a problem, but not as bad as it used to be for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i always say id never have ibs anxiety if cars had toilets, its always miserable for me in the car because it is the ONLY thing i think about, it's almost impossible to get me to go somewhere far.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm dreading Wed. because I will be taking a plan flight overseas! If I'm having these issues in the car, I just can't wait to see what will happen in a plane
. I have been on a plane before and not had issues, but back then I didn't nearly have the anxiety issues I have developed within the past year. I am super nervous, and I am not usually one to take meds for the tummy like immodium and dramamen sp?, but I think I'm going to get some for just in case!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey LauraI know exactly what you mean! I actually get panicy now when I'm in traffic because there's no washroom. How stupid is that? I hate IBS it ruins so many times in life.Anyway - sorry to rant. Would an anxiety prescription help you if you took it for a while? Good luck with your trip. Take immodium before. I bet if you have a successful take off you'll feel much better the rest of the flight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It really is nice that there are others out there that have this issue. I live out in the country and find myself watching for roadside pullouts, bushes, etc. for places to go if need be. The ibs has caused me to change professions. I was a truck driver hauling fuel and there just isn't many places to pull over quickly in a big truck. I have found that when I'm in a vehicle just the pressure of the seat belt and sitting upright puts pressure on my stomach and causes things to go south!!! Don't know how many hits and near misses have happened. I'm sick and tired of this ruling my life. I am very thankful that I have a partner that is totally understanding and supportive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hiya i just wanted to add that i also hate travelling in the car.. to visit family its 2 hour drive and i hate it i dont eat for 12 hours if not more before i go so there is nothing in my bowels and i take immodium. I still get stomach pain like i need to go i know most of it is anxiety and because im thinking it would be truly awful if i had a bad attack on the motoway it just makes things worse. I look for service stops all the way and even go the longer way because there is more stops. I also look for places to pull over in case of real emergancy. I hate traveling because of this and i will never get on a plane for this reason i will a ferry though pleanty of loo's

·
Registered
31 Posts
I won't get on a plane either for the same reason. Last time I went on one was 5 years ago and I felt sick during take off. I didn't know which end it was going to come out of, there were no bags to throw up in and when I got up I got in trouble from the stewardess. It thought I was going to barf and/or poop in the seat, it was horrible.On the way back I took many drugs to try to help but I still felt terribly nervous and hated that seat belt sign going on, knowing I was trapped in that chair in the crowded airplane where people had to line up for the bathroom. uuhh. I'd like to overcome that fear but it is going to take a while for me to go on one again.My family and I went to the local fair last year and my father and I used to always go on the bumper cars, well he bought tickets. We got in our cars and I started to get nervous knowing that I was trapped there for a few minutes (really, how long is one of those stupid rides, but at the time it felt like I would be trapped forever). Just before it started I bolted out of there. I couldn't handle being trapped in the ride in case I felt sick.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Just popped in to say I had this problem as well - just the thought of having to be trapped would bring on the D and cramping - I took tons of Imodium, and sometimes that didnt help - but I have overcome it most of the time now - or if I do get that feeling, it subsides really quickly - happens automatically. Did it with the hypno. (Here's the link: www.ibsaudioprogram100.com ) Stopped most of the panic feeling and now I can travel OK. When I came to this BB almost 7 years ago, I was just like you guys - so there is hope. If you need more info, let me know... take care. I truly know what you are going through... IBS is so hard to live with. All the best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had to take a business trip recently with co-workers who know nothing about my IBS. Managed to fly out of a different airport to avoid a 2 hour car ride with them. After them bugging me to go to dinner with them (knowing the second I got in the car I would be needing a bathroom)I finally gave in since it was only 5 miles away down the highway. We get over a small hill on a six lane highway and the traffic is not moving. Immediately the feeling starts and there is not a bush or tree in sight and again these people have no idea. After the longest 45 minutes of my life we finally manage to get to the restaurant, where I spent the next 15 minutes with D. Never again!!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi mickman and welcome - yep, that's the brain-gut connection that is so common to IBS patients - I cant tell you how many of those types of trips I have circumvented to function - but now doing so much better ... Also your story is mirrored for many of us here - and even one of our BB members wrote a book about situations such as yours - but that cycle can be broken - it is not easy and it takes time, but it can be broken. Also, sometimes just being upfront with folks about your condition, eases the response in itself, but I know it is hard to do in the business world, where impressions are everything... good luck with finding your answer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.