Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please READ and comment:I was diagnosed with IBS and a locatose intolerance back in 1994 (16 yrs old). My symptoms then were sudden cramping and bloating that was releaved when I went to the bathroom ( I too was worried about leaving the house, or where the nearest bathroom was). The IBS never really went into remission but the number of times I felt the symptoms decreased...until November of 2000. (As a side note I was into budybuilding, I was in great athletic shape, 5'9" and weighed 212 lbs at 9% body fat. In September 2001 I was performing an excerise that caused extreme pain in my umblicus region...I felt as if I has a hernia...but a trip to the ER showed I had no hernia, but it would be in the same region where I now have constant pain)In Nov 2001 I began to develop constant abdominal cramping. Eating only made it worse so I began to skip meals...eventual I stopped working out because the pain was too much. In Jaunuary 2001 I went to my Gastro Dr., who ran some blood tests on me, and he ruled that it was my IBS flaring up, so he prescribed Bentyl. I had taken Bentyl when I was first diagnosed with IBS and it seemed to work but this time it didnt give me any relief. I felt as if my intestines were very irritated, flared up (Felt as if GAS was trapped), the pain always was centered around my belly button but occassionally spread to under my left and right ribs...sometimes the pain stayed for days under my right rib. (The bloating feeling never goes away, I wake up with it, I go to sleep with it...it is unrelenting.)In March 2001 I was hospitalized. Because at this time I had lost almost 25 lbs. (Mainly b/c I was no longer working out and b/c I was only eating at the most 1 meal a day) They ran all kinds of tests on meUpper GILower GICT Scan (abdomen/pelvis)Ultra soundParasite TestsStool Tests...all negative. So they released me.I continued to have pain EVERY day, EVERY minute, EVERY second. Sometimes on a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 3 other times it spiked to a 9.5 . I ended up taking a lot of time off of work, because I simply could not get out of bed. During this time, I was having bouts of D and C.Then in June 2001 I was hospitalized again b/c the pain was unbearable. They did more tests on me.ColonoscopyEndoscopyNuclear Gall BladderCeliac TestWheat Allergy TestX-RaysCT SCAN...the results were that I had a small beign palyp in my colon, but otherwise no IBD or Crohn's disease. I did not have Celiac disease, I did test positive to for a WHEAT allergy. The CT scan, X-Rays and Nuclear Gall Bladder test also came up negative. So I was released...In Sept 2001 I passed out from pain while attending a Mass at Church...they doctors in the ER said it was b/c I was dehydrated...thus I was released. I am now seeing a Doctor at Robert Wood Johnson's in New Brunswick, NJ. An UltraSound showed a possible calcification in one of the bile ducts in my pancreas, so when the Dr. examined me and thought I might have pancreatitis, so he ordered a more comprehensive CT SCAN, in the mean time he had me on digestive enzymes for the pancreas and another pancreatic medicine. The CT Scan came back negative of course.IT has now been over year since this pain started...It's unbelievable to me that I still have this pain, EVERY DAY, EVERY Second...unrelenting constant pain always in the same area. and I refuse to take pain killers. My next Dr.s appointment is in Jan 2002 when the Dr. returns from his religious holiday.I started drinking Aloe Juice in the morning and trying to get my diet back to how it was when I was actively bodybuilding, the pain has decreased a little, but not much. I am starting to believe that the Doctors dont know how to treat this, so I am thinking of turning to alternative medicines...Do you guys have suggestions? Do you think this is IBS ...or could it be something else?-Christopher

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I can relate to your pain...Like you I had all the test plus was even drinking Aloe Vera Juice all the time...In and out the hospital for 40 years and my last trip was a few weeks ago and of course nothing ever is found
So after millons of dollars in Hospital Bills and Dr billsI decided to come here to the message board and for "ME" I am learning about the importance Food Intolerance may play in my IBS-D I found out my trigger foods and after staying away from them in two weeks I can tell some improvement...For many others IBS can do all kinds of strange things
Search the board and you will see what has helped others...Read some post from Eric on the board . He post some good info about IBS...and Hypo tapes...and you will find other's here that by staying away from trigger foods has helped them...Our bodies are all different but there is alot of good info here
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I can relate to your pain...Like you I had all the test plus was even drinking Aloe Vera Juice all the time...In and out the hospital for 40 years and my last trip was a few weeks ago and of course nothing ever is found
So after millons of dollars in Hospital Bills and Dr billsI decided to come here to the message board and for "ME" I am learning about the importance Food Intolerance may play in my IBS-D I found out my trigger foods and after staying away from them in two weeks I can tell some improvement...For many others IBS can do all kinds of strange things
Search the board and you will see what has helped others...Read some post from Eric on the board . He post some good info about IBS...and Hypo tapes...and you will find other's here that by staying away from trigger foods has helped them...Our bodies are all different but there is alot of good info here
Good Luck

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Christopher, you have been through the tests thats for sure.It could be IBS at the moment as they have not found an organic cause for it yet. It seems to be pointing to it, but there is also chronic functional abdominal pain syndrome, so you would still need to fit the rome 2 criteria for IBS.No one can diagnose you on the internet that you have IBS.As you have found no pain relief, do you know anything about hypnotherapy for IBS and other functional GI disorders, especially for pain?It is very effective and has no side effects.Sorry there is so much frustration and pain at the moment.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Christopher, you have been through the tests thats for sure.It could be IBS at the moment as they have not found an organic cause for it yet. It seems to be pointing to it, but there is also chronic functional abdominal pain syndrome, so you would still need to fit the rome 2 criteria for IBS.No one can diagnose you on the internet that you have IBS.As you have found no pain relief, do you know anything about hypnotherapy for IBS and other functional GI disorders, especially for pain?It is very effective and has no side effects.Sorry there is so much frustration and pain at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts