Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have this problem? When I go away anywhere or change my routine for more than 3 days - I get a bad IBS attack usually when I am out at a restaurant (if on holidays) I start off being really hungry then I get yawny and start sweating, then I usually have to go to the loo and then I am usually violently sick as well - Its not nice! I am on Cipramil and my Doc has advised me to up my dose a week before I go away and during my hols (I am currently only on 10mg). During my 'normal' routine, my IBS has got a lot better - I was suffering nearly every week with an attack on the way to work. I have now changed my route and try to leave earlier to avoid queues and this seems to have really helped, (plus being on the Cipramil!. I would be glad to hear other peoples holiday blues!

·
Registered
897 Posts
When I was younger, and used to get anxiety/panic attacks, they would always to their worst when I was on vacation. My husband and I would get into a restaurant, look at the menu, and I would start to feel "trapped." I'd usually end up in the bathroom trying to calm myself down, but there were occasions when we had to leave. When I was finally diagnosed with panic attacks I was put on anti-anxiety meds and got therapy to help me deal with them. For many years afterwards, long after I'd stopped using the meds regularly, I carried them with me when we traveled abroad. I had to use them occassionally--especially when flying--but in general they were my safety balnket. Does this experience relate to yours? Take care.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I also can gget worse with vacations. I've only had two vacations since being diagnosed with this. The first one I was in a lot of pain. There were 6 people (my twin-sister's family)in our party all trying to squeeze a lot into a short period of time (in Las Vegas). A lot of decisions had to be made ex.: eating, swimming, shows, tickets, sight seeing, shopping. It was fun, but too stressful. The second vacation was more relaxing. There were only 3 of us; me, my husband and my son. It was at Disneyland and I didn't try to do "everything". I've been there umpteen times and just slowed down and did what my son wanted to do. I just tried to relax and go with the flow. I was much better. I think vacations can work if you plan it so that you don't have a tight/packed itinerary. Plus, I think that my twin-sister is kinda like my abuser??? She was always above me on the so-called pecking order. We could both agree growing up, she got the last "hit" (in a fight). Studies show that 50% of IBS'ers were abused, either verbally or physically in their childhoods. It seems verbal abuse maybe hard to qualify, but I can see some validity in the study. Getting back to vacations, I wonder if having a get-away cabin is better for IBS, cuz it forces you to slow down and stay in one place. A place that's more familiar to you perhaps, less stressful, rather than travelling here, there, and everywhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.