Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright since we just passed Thanksgiving and have those christmaas turkeys and hams around the corner what foods on your family table do you not eat.I have problems with Northern stuffing it generally has more spices than a southern cornbread dressing. I also shy away from the gravy. Might as well have a tablespoon full of bacon grease instead. How many of you cant eat a green salad. I get absolutely ill from anything green that is not cooked.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have cutback on a lot of desserts. My Mom usually makes lasagna and I haven't had it since I developed IBS. I'm probably going to try it because her lasagna is homemade and SO yummy!

·
Registered
107 Posts
No gravy for me and I am allergic to apples so they are out too. My mom just blew my mind though- she made her stuffing which was my favorite holiday food with pears instead of apples. I was a little bit freaked out becasue it tasted and looked just like apples in it. I have anaphylactic reactions to apples which started as a teen so I am somewhat terrified of apples! It was so great I made a pear pie when I got home (just substitued pears for apple in an apple pie recipe). It was wonderful. Just an idea for you Donna!

G

·
I say everytime, DON'T eat the dressing! I do anyway. It is the sage in the dressing that sends me in a "tail spin"
Sometimes I can eat salads, sometimes not. Never can tell how the gut will react to that one. I just make sure I am going to be going home after I have me a salad. BUT NO SAGE PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Good topic Engine!Being that I no longer have a gall bladder, most rich or heavy fat content foods will not pass these lips. But to come clean, I never liked super rich or fatty foods anyway. Like it was never a problem for me to say "no thanks" to cheese cake.
However, I also limit my intake of nuts, which is really hard for me. I love nuts, all kinds. But it is hard to have just one.....dozen, lol.Egg Nog......... fawgedaboudid. No way. Ever.Now another thing difficult for me to pass up is hard cheeses. I can have a wee bit, as long as it isn't the first thing I'm throwing in there on an empty stomach. I have learned that with certain borderline "ok" foods, the trick is sneaking them in on top of other definitely "ok" foods. You know, so that with everything else thrown, my gut may not notice. (I get lucky sometimes) Soft cheeses...... again, not worth it. Lasagne is something I simply try not to eat. Pizza is difficult for me to digest as well. However, over time, I have noticed that chilled "left-overs" with mozzarella cheese are much easier on my gut. Go figure?Sometimes also, it isn't always what I eat, but how much. At parties with a buffet with either entree stuff or appetizers, I nibble. A little a' dis, a little a' dat.... and it turns out ok.I love apple pie. However, the crust does me in. So I still have a piece and just eat the good stuff and leave the crust.
Chocolate???? Hmmm a tough one for sure. Dark is sometimes ok, IIIIIIIFFF, I plunk just a wee bit in there after eating other ok stuff. Milk chocolate??? For me?? Not worth it. I really have to WANT to eat chocolate anyway, but I find dark for me is better.Veggie platters, fine; again as long as I don't over do it. I start with cucumbers and work up to the carrots. Dip??? Ummmm, sometimes; depending on what it is made with. Yogurt based or low fat sour cream based is better than reg. sour cream or (God forbid my gut hears me typing this.... whispering: mayonnaise shhhhhh)
But most times I just do without dip... and I don't miss it that often.If I am in flare when I attend one of these parties or am throwing one of these parties, I try to eat "safe" stuff ahead of time and not eat much or anything during. Hey, it happens, but this way I can still enjoy everyone's company.Most of this I learned via trial & error. And everyone is different, so what one considers an "ok" food, may mean instant bathroom time to another.But I still think we should go out and enjoy the season and life in general, as much as we can. Prepare for the worst. (For me that means, bring my meds. If I am in D flare, take them. Arrange to transport myself to and fro said event in case I don't feel up to staying long.) Expect the best. Most of the time I go out, I don't have any trouble. And the night of the event should be no different. So I assume no problems will happen, but I am prepared if they do.Here's wishing you all a gastronomically wonderful holiday season!
BQ

·
Registered
595 Posts
OK - confession here - if I am going to be home, I'll eat virtually anything I am not allergic to except milk.If I'm out, well that's a different story. No salad, no gravy, nothing too heavy. My biggest problem has always been urgency and I don't want to push my luck, especially on a holiday. Any time I have to drive more than a block or two I watch what I eat. Otherwise, well, I AM a queen-sized woman so that tells you something.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Made my grandma's cornbread dressing, I love it so! But oye, it killed me! LOL Cranberry sauce didn't help, and I probably ate too much pumpkin pie. Gravy was another. I've been really sick since Thanksgiving. It started with that dinner and leftovers. Then I was really stupid and ate some bean dip! THEN on Sunday we went out to dinner for my husband's birthday. MEXICAN FOOD!! YIKES!
And I've wondered why I'm in pain! LOL

·
Registered
271 Posts
I behaved beautifully on Thanksgiving, only ate what I could tolerate. Only nibbled on pumpkin pie for dessert - ignoring the other 5 varities. But in my family, the celebration lasts for 4 days. Day two - my mom made fudge. I went nuts and missed days 3 and 4 as a result. I couldn't survive in a house with 20 people and only 1 bathroom.

·
Registered
389 Posts
unfortunatly, i have to stay away from cranberry sauce, becuase of the amt of sugar in it
i also stay away from the high fat mashed potatoes (baked for me),high fat buttermilk biscuits, stuffing, corn, ANything Pie, and ham. in fact the only things i really do eat on the holidays are chicken, peas, sringbeans, baked potato, and a piece of peppermint fudge cake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.