Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello every one i was wondering if anyone could help almost every time i go on holiday im ill with IBS , im not really sure why but i think it might have some think to do with the change in rountine (lol or all that holiday food
)but this week im going to america for the first time and were going to be going on day trips every day so i cant be ill with out spoiling the holiday and to make it even worse im going through a bad patch of IBS this week and im not sure what i can do , so i was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if they could offer any solutions

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My suggestion is to eat really light... Possibly following the B.R.A.T. diet on the entire trip.. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. Also, as most here will say you can take Imodium as a preventative everyday.. 2 to prevent and then 4 if you start feeling bad. I sometimes will take 6-8. And I seemed to do good mixing Pepto Bismol liquid and Imodium together before my last gastro appointment(it was an hour drive, more in heavy traffic).I'd definitly take 2-4 Imodium before the plane trip, and just eat really lightly, and very small meals. Try to stay away from our American cuisine, too. We like to process the #### out of everything we can get our hands on.And try to relax
Possibly get an anti-anxiety med like Valium, Xanax, or Klonopin.. that is if they are available in your country. Those have a tremendous calming effect, and if you are calm, you may not think about your bowels as much as you would if you were all worked up.Xanax has done the trick for me in situations like that.

G

·
em - have a great one - I find the reverse - have just had 2 and a half weeks in Norway and had absolutely NO IBS symptoms at all but I think mine are nearly all stress-related. I guess - try and stick to as bland a diet as poss (I've never been to the States so don't know how realistic that is?!?). Please try to enjoy it - IBS is enough of a bloody nuisance without wrecking what should be the trip of a lifetime!!Sue

·
Registered
476 Posts
Load up on the Imodium and ENJOY! Really hope you have a nice time. Understand your a bit worried about the trips, I would be too - And I'm on holiday the end of August so my time will come! lol - But as someone said above, see if you can get some 'chill' pills - They're great!xxxx

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah. immodium. i just went on a trip and i was very worried about my stomach, with all of the tstress from travel, and also because a lot of my trip included hiking during the day. i took robinul in the morning and sometimes at lunch too, and my fibercon in the morning and the evening, and well, my other regular medication and i was ok. i only needed to resort to the immodium twice in the 2 weeks i was there. also, i would never eat bananas or applesauce. that is an automatic stomach ache for me. shows you how everyone is different. me, i do not eat really any fruit or salad. i stay away from it. i eat pasta, rice, bread, chicken. i eat plain simple stuff when i can. so i would say stick to plain chicken, toast, bread, pasta with only maybe some olive oil, fish. do not eat heavy foods, creamy foods, lots of cheese, etc. just eat what you know does not generally upset your stomach. oh, also, i am not good with flying. if flying makes you nervouse, see if you can get a perscription for some xanax to help calm you on the flight. definitely helps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone for all your great advice its really helped me put my mind at rest and the things suggested are all packed in my suitcase ready to go lol ,im off tomorrow so hopefully everything will be fine , thanks again and hope you all have great holidays to

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.