Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been reading about homeopathic remedies and im really intruiged and from what i have been reading it can help a lot of people with various ailments, asthma, ibs, rheumatic conditions but to name a few.According to this book in the 4th century BC Hippocrates developed the proposition that treating a patient with something that mimics the illness might cure it etc etc.If my memory serves me well i think mark cant remember his user name is a fan of homeopathic remedies, i just wondered if anyone else on here has ever thought about exploring homeopathy? thanks

· Registered
10,337 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
I'm not into homeopathy myself but do know that many people are,and have had big health successes with it,including the British Royal Family. I have heard that the Queen Mum,who passed away at age about 102, was really into it, as areThe Queen (not bad for nearly 80) and, I think, Prince Charles.Their health record (what we know of it) is so good, it seems, thatthey have influenced people in England - and maybe Scotland.O

· Registered
88 Posts
I don't know whether I believe it works or not. I will say this though. My mother is disabled with a very deabilitating spine injury, has been for almost 15 years now, but about 7 years ago she discovered this magnetic therapy thing from some Japanese company (it's hard to explain). She had lived in agony for a long time until she found out about these special magnets, now she can do many things that she couldn't do before. I don't know the scientific explanation for this but what I do know is that she has gotten part of her life back because of these things. I don't know if it's a placebo effect or what, but as long as it works for her and she is not hurting herself doing it then I don't really care. Modern medicine doesn't have all the answers, the human body and mind are amazing things. Everyday people and doctors witness things that cannot be explained by conventional medicine. So what I am trying to say is that I think that if something unorthodox works then why not go with it even if it is some sort of placebo effect, as long as it is not harming the user. Perception is reality. If I feel better, than I am better.

· Banned
8,797 Posts
I have tried homeopathy and it did help my depresssion. Some like flux say that some homeopaths use actual concentrations of chemicals as opposed to dilutions and hence you cannot say the results they achieve is due to homeopathy. Perhaps my homeopath was one of those suspect types of homeopaths. Also beware that homeopathy can have weird side effects. I was salivating so much while I was on homeopathy I could have been some drooling animal. And read the account here when they do not use the right concentrations in homeopathic medsJournal of Toxicology: Clinical Toxicology, Dec 2003 v41 i7 p963(5) Arsenic toxicity from homeopathic treatment. Dipankar Chakraborti; Subhash Chandra Mukherjee; Khitish Chandra Saha; Uttam Kumar Chowdhury; Mohammad Mahmudur Rahman; Mrinal Kumar Sengupta. Author's Abstract: COPYRIGHT 2003 Marcel Dekker, Inc. Homeopathic medicine is commonly believed to be relatively harmless. However, treatment with improperly used homeopathic preparations may be dangerous. Case Reports. Case 1 presented with melanosis and keratosis following short-term use of Arsenic Bromide 1-X followed by long-term use of other arsenic-containing homeopathic preparations. Case 2 developed melanotic arsenical skin lesions after taking Arsenicum Sulfuratum Flavum-l-X (Arsenic S.F. l-X) in an effort to treat his white skin patches. Case 3 consumed Arsenic Bromide 1-X for 6 days in an effort to treat his diabetes and developed an acute gastrointestinal illness followed by leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, and diffuse dermal melanosis with patchy desquamation. Within ~2 weeks, he developed a toxic polyneuropathy resulting in quadriparesis. Arsenic concentrations in all three patients were significantly elevated in integument tissue samples. In all three cases, arsenic concentrations in drinking water were normal but arsenic concentrations in samples of the homeopathic medications were elevated. Conclusion. Arsenic used therapeutically in homeopathic medicines can cause clinical toxicity if the medications are improperly used.A 1X homeopathic remedy consists of 1 drop of the original substance prepared as a tincture diluted in 9 drops of a 40%alcohol/water mixture. The remedy is then shaken 100 times to complete the preparation. This shaking method is referred to as succession.

· Registered
22 Posts
My parents took me to a homeopathic doctor (she also was an actual MD) for a while after regular medicine couldn't figure out what was wrong with me -- this was before I was officially diagnosed with IBS. First she had me go on some detox beads that tasted funny that I put under my tongue for a few days which basically gave me a 3-day IBS-D attack which was horrible. Then she had me taking more beads I put under my tongue that tasted like sugar and didn't really do anything to help my IBS. After several months of her trying different bead combinations to put under my tongue twice a day she finally sat me down, told me my problem was beyond homeopathy and offered to prescribe me antidepressants.Thanks to her I realized I was in denial about my depression but other than that from my experience IBS is beyond homeopathy. I told my current GI doctor this story and he got a good laugh out of it.

· Registered
23 Posts
Whoever said "Homeopathy is a hoax" above , does not know squat about homeopathy.Homeopathy does not provide remedy to all ailments but they are many diseases that can be effectively cured by Homeopathy and with much less side-effects. How do I know it ? I have succesffuly used Homeopathy to resolve various health problems in my life.

· Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:Whoever said "Homeopathy is a hoax" above , does not know squat about homeopathy
This statement is false.
quote: How do I know it ? I have succesffuly used Homeopathy to resolve various health problems in my life.
Homeopathy per se cannot affect any condition. However, the placebo effect can. In some cases (many perhaps), the placebo effect is a just a coincidence. The condition just resolved spontaneously.

· Registered
116 Posts
If any of you would like to read a good book on homeopathy, try: "Homeopathy, A Frontier In Medical Science" by Signorini, and Bellavite. It's an older book from '95 but gives a great introduction to the subject.

· Registered
10,337 Posts
quote: Homeopathy, A Frontier In Medical Science
Homeopathy apparently was popularized by a real physician and was popular as a standard medical treatment (1800s) largely because the other real treatments at the time weren't any good.However, it was eventually abandoned when it was discovered not to work and real treatments (namely, drugs) began to appear.So it's was a "trip-up" in medical science, certainly no frontier. It's, therefore, reasonable to assume this book is bogus.

· Registered
234 Posts
Well, all I know is that Homeopaths seem obsessed about body cleansing and toxins in the system. However, meanstream doctors find this rather silly and built on a flimsy assumption.FOr example, a homeopath will claim that feces can harden and stick to your intestional walls for days, weeks, years, and poison your system, whereas modern mainstream medicine has been doing autopsis and actual body disection and analysis in controlled tests for over 50 years and has never seen such a connection. This is not to say that cleansing is wrong or harmful, but that it is not always necessary for health, although it might make someone chronically constipated feel better. The mainstream response to the homeopath is "What toxins? Show us these toxins you keep scaring people about? In controlled studies, show us a correspondence between they bogeyman toxins and what happens in the body?" So far, no homeopathic studies have proved better than placebo control groups. It is a bit like belieiving that your illness is caused by little pixies that live in you, and that a magic powder from the village witch will drive them out of you through your anus. Mainstream science in its arrogance has caused this outbreak in untested and at times invalid practices. May the buyer beware! A fancy website with lots of nice colors and actors in white coats and bogus testimonials do not make something good.

· Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:FOr example, a homeopath will claim that feces can harden and stick to your intestional walls for days, weeks, years, and poison your system, whereas modern mainstream medicine has been doing autopsis and actual body disection and analysis in controlled tests for over 50 years and has never seen such a connection.
I'm not sure homeopaths per se make this claim. I think it's just a generic claim of some alternative health practitioners, especially those who promote colonic hydrotherapy.
quote:Mainstream science in its arrogance has caused this outbreak in untested and at times invalid practices.
I'm also not sure it's arrogance here, but simply where things stand in the present time. Medicine is a relatively young field (relative to recorded history) and just doesn't have all the answers yet. Eventually, it will and alternative practice will wither away (except for the few that actually have benefit).

· Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:Sounds more like a utopian fantasyland to believe the medical field will find ALL the answers.
That utopian fantasyland is otherwise known as the future.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
I must add though, I still believe you slipped with the ALLperhaps you really believe this. if you indeed do believe the medical field will find all the answers in the future, all your postings will mean nothing to me, because you seem to be dreaming

· Registered
10,337 Posts
quote: f you indeed do believe the medical field will find all the answers in the future, all your postings will mean nothing to me, because you seem to be dreaming
Oh, I'm dreaming.
[dream]2009- type I diabetes cured2010- people with spinal paralysis regain all mobility, though sensory deficits remain2012- first first pig transplant attempted, no immunosupression required....2060- first baby born with trillions of nano-robotic implants living inside among the cells, which completely eliminates the possibility of ever becoming sick.children in early 2070s talking:child 1: my grandpa told me he used to get something called a cold when he was little.child 2 (puzzled): maybe he never wore a jacket to school in the winter.2100- 1,000,000 people alive who are 120 years old.2150- human population reaches 20 billion, world leaders meet to discuss how to handle the fact that people are beginning to live indefinitely.[/dream]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.