Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Not related to IBS, but funny you should ask...I was just talking about honey today. I had a monster cold after surgery recently; when I thought my cold was finally gone, I developed another major sore throat and could barely talk. At dinner, I slathered a lot of honey on my cornbread and ate it. I felt the honey coating my throat and almost immediately I felt better and could talk again (to my husband's dismay
). I've been doing a lot better since.Honey is supposed to have some natural antibacterial qualities. I don't know about it helping IBS, but it is much easier to digest, at least, than other forms of sugar.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I currently have a sinus infection and am drinking hot tea with lemon and honey just because it tastes good and makes my throat feel better!
I live in an area that produces Sourwood Honey and it is the BEST honey in the world! I will never, ever use Clover Honey again! We also have Wildflower Honey that is delicious also.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Honey tends to be high in fructose, and for some people high fructose foods can cause diarrhea, even in people who do not have IBS. Depending upon your symptom profile this could be a good thing, or a bad thing. And the effects of fructose are highly individual. Some people aren't bothered by it at all.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thats strange Jan,i was also talking about honey today,and how it can be a bad thing,i was reading a book on it last night.I am a major honey and tea person,i may think twice about it after what i read.Cyndee if its bothering you,it may be the fructose.Krissy

·
Registered
880 Posts
Honey is actually one of my triggers for D. I discovered that after a bad sore throat where I drank honey in my tea constantly. I used to put whipped honey on English muffins but I had to give that up... I really miss it.

G

·
I was on a monosaccaride diet earlier this summer and I was allowed to eat honey, but no sugar or sugar substitutes. Apparently honey is easier to digest (as it is already broken down into a single sugar). I had no problems with it, and continue to use it as a replacement for sugar whenever possible.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Ditto what Zoom says: I've also heard and read that honey is supposed to be much easier to digest than fructose and refined sugar...now, I'm confused! Krissy, what are some of the bad things you read about honey?

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HONEY!Here is a nice webpage with all you ever wanted to know about honey including why it should never be given to infants one year old or younger (can contain clostridium spores which can give a baby botulism...this is often fatal). Only complete sterilization by specific methods can destroy spores, and this is not done with honey. Also can contain antibiotics and stuff given to the bees, so if that is a concern one needs to talk to the manufacturer about that.But this page tells all about it and different kinds, storage, etc.Enjoy... http://www.waltonfeed.com/grain/faqs/iid2.html MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the info, I have not had any problems with that, i drink hotwater and honey in the mornings at work, while everyone else is having hot chocolate and starbucks coffee. I feel it is safer for me. i have also tried hot cider, thats real good too i think???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.