Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 26 year old female. I have had IBS for almost 4 years. I am very new to this web site. I posted a letter a week ago but i can't find it now. I am at the end! I have seen ALOT of doctors and i am currently taking an expermental drug (that is not working) and I still have D every day. The pain i have is unbearable and i'm always on the darn toilet. I can bearly make it to work and when i get there i am in the bathroom alot. I take immoudium every day. I usually take about 12 to 24 EVERY DAY! I can't go anywhere with my husband or daughter because i need to be near a bathroom. I weigh only 100 pounds and getting smaller. The doctors medcine does not help at all (Paxil and Amitriptline). They say IBS comes from stress but i think stress comes from IBS!!! Sometimes i get sucidal but i hang in there for my family even though i am a burden to them. PLEASE - IF ANYONE HAS SUGGESTIONS - I WOULD APPERACIATE ANYTHING THAT MIGHT HELP!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
April Z, I don't think I have any suggestions for you (was going to say Paxil, since it has been such a big help for me), but I would like to be of encouragement. I know it's silly for me to say "hang on" when you obviously are suffering alot.....but I just hope you have hope. Are you religious? I'm not a fanatic, but consider myself to be pretty devout. I think that praying is a big help.....I don't mean reciting specific already-written prayers (although there's nothing wrong with them either)...I mean talking openly and honestly with God...pouring out your heart and your suffering. It certainly can't hurt. I've just said a prayer for you myself. What do the doctors say you have? Is it IBS, or something more serious, like Crohn's? Take heart...I do believe we are never given anything that is too hard for us to handle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear April, please do not consider suicide again. I know you are in misery, but your family loves you and would be devastated if you took your own life. My hubsands father did that and it is not an easy thing to have to be left behind with such feeling of guilt because we couldn't help him. I know, I found him!Have you ever tried the calcuim supplements. Soooo many people are being helped by taking them. Caltrate Plus is what most are taking. Some are taking 3 a day. Calcium has a natrual way of causing constipation when taking too much, but if you are having major D, then it just seems to firm things up to a tolerable state. Please give it a try and see what happens. Why not register here and keep coming back? I know everyone here would just love to help you and would be a great encouragement to you.I hope this has been a help to you. If you can't find your other post, just go to "search" at the top of the page and type in your name or the subject you had written in under and it will find it for you.Keep in touch, please.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dear April, I've been there. I know what you are going through. there were times I couldn't leave the bathroom much less the house. I found out anti-depressants and most tranquilizers only make the problem MUCH WORSE. Plus once you are on them, you have to go through withdrawal. SOmetimes you think you're going to die, other times you wish you would. A few things I can suggest: talk to your ob/gyn if you're not on B/c pills try them. they helped me. also, try caltrate, Prilosec is another option. a good woman counselor, group therapy when you can get out, and as elissa responded keep the faith and PRAY!!! I'm not overly religious either but if nothing else it gives me piece of mind. You can email me if you have any questions. I hope you find something that is helpful. Keep looking. There is an answer out there somewhere. Also, Cadia has a chat room ### irc.webmaster.com go there. we meet as often as possible so if you go there & no one is there try back. We are all in the same boat and rely on one another for help. I hope we can help you too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
April: I feel for you as I've had IBS for many years - not as bad as you perhaps, but it's terrible, I know. Do take Silver's advice and try the Caltrate Plus in the purple & white box - I found that info on this Bulletin Board and bought some immediately. I do believe it has been of help to me; however, I've only been taking it for about a week or so. I tried 3 a day after meals, but that was too much for my system so I'm now taking 1 after breakfast and 1/2 after my evening meal. I have not had one outbreak of D since!!! Of course, I still watch my diet and don't eat anything crazy that I know will trigger the IBS. I'm also taking 1-2 Librax a day. Read all the posts on here about the Caltrate Plus and you will be amazed by the stories and the people it has helped. E-mail LNape###aol.com if you have other questions about it. She's the expert on this!Keep reading this bulletin board as the people here are VERY helpful - and extremely sympathetic to your problems as we're all right there with you!LinD

·
Registered
57 Posts
April I am overly religious and I do advocate prayer...Please remember that the persons who have reponded care for you and do not even know you, how much more would the people who love you worry if they knew that you feel so bad, let alone hurting yourself! You are in pain I know and I at times also have felt hopless. Please talk to us and we all can help you get through this bad spell. May you feel the sprit of love around you and begin to feel the healing thoughts and prayers we are sending your way.Ricky

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello April Z,Suicide is never a way out, thank you for hanging in there. You have been led to the right place. We have all found this place for the same reason 'to get the help and support we need'. Read through the posts on this board you may also want to go back to board #2, #3 as there is allot of info on those boards as well. Get the info you need and start your help progam as soon as possible. If you have any questions please ask and there are many that are here to help. God is always preforming these small little miricles that no one really notices or recognises and his angels are everywhere.Haniel

·
Registered
462 Posts
Dear Hopeless,i was in your shoes awhiole back and the only thing that kept me alive was being on here and talking to people.i think ibs is stress and vise versa your right about that one and i myself cannot even uderstand it.the pain you described is unberable and i had the pain also till i tried caltrate,since then i dont have the unberiable pain anymore only seldome.You should talk to linape about the caltrate she knowa alot,but i think it's the magnessium in it that helps the pain btu imnot sure,ask linape.I also am on amitryptilin and a combo drug Limbitrol and it helped until i got off of it,the amitryptiline though made me gain weight and that was a good thing because i am also soooo underweight,so stick to it anyway for health puposes and keep coming here htere are alot of people that feel like you do(me for one) and will help you anytime.Feel better-
-cadia

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Go on a Boost or Ensure diet until your system calms down. Then slowly reintroduce foods starting with things that will constipate you like bananas. Write down all the things that bother you after you eat them and then try them again later. If they still bother you then avoid them. Try to stay away from processed foods too. I have done this several times when I just couldn't stand the pain anymore. You are in one of those "IBS - Stress feedback loops" and you need to end it. I hope that this will help you out. P.S-If you notice a reaction to dairy then this would indicate lactose intolerance. If you notice a problem with wheat or gluten than this might indicate celiac's disease.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hang in there ! You will learn alot here from these guys. All the years I was out there searching with ALL the doctor's they dont have the knowledge people have here. Always remember you are never alone...
[This message has been edited by donnaj (edited 04-15-99).]

·
Registered
414 Posts
Dear April,I'm 26 and have DEFINITELY been in your shoes. I am some better, but there was a big space of time I was afraid to leave my house and work was nearly impossible. I'm lucky (I think) that I don't have any kids yet, that added stress just has to make it worse. People around here freak out when you speak of suicide, which is good on one hand, it means they care, but on the other hand, I have talked about it here and really just wanted some understaning, not a lecture about suicide not being a "way out." I know how you feel, there have been weeks recently (like a month ago) where I wanted to die so badly that I was starting to think about "ways" to kill myself. Obviously I'm still here and have been better the last few weeks, but I KNOW how you feel. Don't be afraid to talk about it....my husband wouldn't consider that my feelings about killing myself were real, and that just made it worse. I, of course, wouldn't have the nerve to ever go through with something like that, it would hurt my mom and my husband too much, as I'm sure it would hurt your family soooo much, but I just wanted you to know that you are NOT the only one who feels this way!! Please try to hang on and try the Caltrate thing, I REALLY DO think it helps!!!! Drink tons of water so you don't get dehydrated and I'm NOT a religious type of person, I've been so angry with God the last year, but sometimes, praying or even kind of communing with nature now that its spring time may help. I also found that doing little things for myself and no one else helps. Like buying myself some little thing just because I want it, or treating myself to a smoothie at the Juice Stop for no reason. (my husband wound't approve of spending $3.00 on a smoothe) Do little things for yourself, you have worth!!!!! Don't give up, that would be a tradgedy no only for you, but for all of us that suffer, we don't want anyone to give up.I wish you the best of luck and I will be thinking of you today.Jill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also have been in your shoes.I have two children and was a single mom when this all started .You need to listen to all these people they know what they are talking about and you also need to take it one day at a time.It helps me to try to take my mind off it ,that is not easy but it usually helps.May god bless and when you think of suicide think of your children thats what kept me going.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No lectures on suicide - I think you've heard enough already and should be convinced by now that it's not the solution.I'm not nearly as bad off as you - for me it's a very big bother and almost a disability, but it makes me more mad than depressed. So, get mad, get even, and get HOPE. There are ways to cope, for each of us - you just have to find the way for you.Don't give in - find the way. IT's WORTH IT !!!!BJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ophelia,I went to nooduitgang.com to find out what you were talking about. It came up as a website, but in another language (Dutch maybe, I'm not sure). I could tell enough to see that there was a section on stomach problems, but it looks like there is also a section on cars??!! What is this website, and can I get it in English?Thanks,LynneB

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Here's the address for the nooduitgang board. Check out the most recent posts by Mick entitled "Everyone starting the program." I have been on this plan for the last few weeks and it's really helped a lot. I'd recommend anyone with IBS-D should try it.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
AprilZPlease let us try to help you. This is the place to be with friends who are going through what you are going through. Try the caltrate plus calcium supplement in the white and purple box. Take one tablet with each meal and you should notice the difference right away. Don't wait go get you some. Email if you have further questions.LindaLNAPE###AOL.COM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HANG ON!!! We've all been where you are. You gotta take the Caltrate Plus. After just a few days I couldn't believe just how constipated I could be, and that's after 10 years of living with the Poopsies. Go back in the BB about a month or so and read the posts. Some are funny, and some are sad. You'll get a big relief just by reading what others have gone through and how they've progressed. I've been here about a month or two and it has helped me so much that I can never repay Parkview Publishing for having it here. It's truly been a blessing. I get on here everyday just to have a laugh or to check up on what and who is new. Hang in there and give us a try. We're worth it and so are you!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh sweetie!!! you've found the right place. I have only been here for about oh three weeks or so and I was like you.... at the end of my rope. I totally understand. I have the D as well. and I tell you this is one hell of a way to loose the weight I gained during my pregnancy. But I did it. I am back down to under 130 lbs. I ususally weigh around 115. I am not fat. just need to tone the tummy muscles now. But I understand about not going anywhere. It has gotten to the point where I do not go out and eat. What's the point. I spend most of the evening or time in the b-room. and as for work. well bathroom stall #3 and I are buddies. Do listen to all the advice above. The caltrate deal is what they all swear by. That is my next step. My dr wants to do that going into the throat thing(scope?)oh joy. I have trouble getting up in the morning. I feel like a truck has run over me. and please remember on thing....YOU ARE NOT ALONE. WE ARE HERE...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.