Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I am new here. I was diagnosed with IBS in 2001, but I believe I have been suffering from it since I was 9.I always had an unexplainable bad pain in my abdomen that would come in go every few months, even years. I had an ultrasound when I was 14 to determine what the pain was and I was finally told by the Dr.'s that there was nothing there and that I would grow out of it. Yeah, right! When I was in college, while taking long walks in long beach with my friends, I would experience abdominal pain so bad I had to sit down wherever I was (sometimes in the middle of the road) until the pain dissipated, because I couldn't move.My mother, being like all mother's, diagnosed me as a lactose intolerant. I accepted that and switched from whole milk to lactaid milk etc., but when I turned 22, I started to experience a stabbing pain in the middle of my stomach, between my ribcage.The Dr. I had at the time said I had H-Pylori and gave me some meds. The pain NEVER went away. Infact it got worse during my menstrual cycle to the point where I found myself contemplating suicide!When I attempted to return to school for the 2001 fall semester, I started experiencing the worst of the IBS: Feelings of going, anywhere and everywhere, at anytime. I would sit on the train, on my way to school, holding in my bowels, praying to God that I didn't #### on myself.I couldn't cope any more and recieved an Honorable discharge from school.After that, it subsided and I only experienced discomfort on my period, but for the rest of the time I was fine...until recently, which is why I am writing this. I hope someone else knows what I am experiencing here and can shed some light on the situation, but basically since september, I have been experiencing a pain so bad I cannot sleep, I cannot eat...most of the time I can barely walk.It happens only during my period. It comes in a wave. It starts at my stomach, rolls down to the middle and ends at my bladder. Five days ago, as I was walking home from the theatre, the bladder pain was so bad I couldn't walk. It was one of the coldest days in New England, and I stood on the street, risking frostbite, because I needed to hail a cab or I was going to die on the sidewalk.The pain always moves like a wave,rolling from the top of my torso, to my bladder...It hurts to try and use the bathroom. It hurts to use the bathroom. But once I go, the pain in the center of my stomach subsides until I have to go again. It's like a full bladder makes it worse. But the pain in the bladder is unbelievable, and it only lasts for a day or a night, depending on whether or not I have any tylenol or if the tylenol is even working.After a day or two, everything is back to normal and my bladder is fine. I don't know what to do yet because my Doctor left the country and I am still trying to find a new one. I am honestly afraid of my next period because I know the pain will come back. It always does! It's so depressing. Has anyone else here experienced this?WW

·
Registered
31 Posts
First I am a male so my problems are a little different. As a sufferer of IBS for almost a year I would suggest trying to find a GI that is willing to give you the tests you need to rule out more serious stuff than IBS. Probably a colonoscopy, small bowel X-ray, blood tests etc... But anyway a good GI will know the routine. Here are the tests I have had just to fill you in... colonoscopy, small bowel x-ray, stool sample, regular blood work 2x... I have an EGD on Thurs. for my stomach... I am getting better by using an herbal thing called primal defense... I am sure that many more people on here have it a lot worse than I do and can attest to suffering for much longer. I have a very strong will to beat this thing and have thought briefly about suicide too... I realized that I am only 24 and medicine and herbal remedies are only going to get better... Hang in there and send me a note if you need support...I am on the computer a lot cause I am writing my thesis for my MA in Criminal Justice...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Sarabelle316,I have been thinking that since it is all exacerbated by my period, then maybe BC Pills will help, so I am definitely trying to find a doctor to prescribe them because I have never used them before. Thank you for reinforcing the thought. (*_*)WW

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've never had bladder pain as bad as you describe, but I still know exactly what you're talking about. It comes with your period every month and SUX. I also recomend birth control pills - with a kick. Talk to your doctor about skipping the "week off" so you can avoid your period all together for a while. My gyno suggested this but I decided to try Depo Provera. That ended up not working so much, and I gained 15 lbs, but when I got off of it I was period free for 2-3 months (the best months of the past 8 years!!!). I didn't have one bad attack. But right before Christmas I started again and haven't stopped. In the past month I've been having IBS attacks from extremely major 48 hour pain/D attack to just really anoying gas pressure. I'm new to my city and also looking for a doctor, but as soon as I do I'm getting on the pill and skipping the week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too suffer horribly during my period. It aggravates the IBS. I finally found a way to at least treat the symptoms. I take a combination of Aleve and Bentylol, an anti-spasmodic. Both are available without prescription, but you have to ask the pharmacist for the bentylol. What is important is that one doesn't work without the other. The anti-inflammatory properties of the Aleve combined with the Bentylol keep me pain-free for the worst part of my period. It is certainly worth a try.Cherie.

·
Registered
370 Posts
quote: it only lasts for a day or a night, depending on whether or not I have any tylenol or if the tylenol is even working.
Like me you're probably scared of the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs because of your gut troubles, so you're between a rock and a hard place therapeutically--Tylenol is unlikely to help much with this kind of pain. It is my understanding that Tylenol exerts neither anti-inflammatory nor anti-prostaglandin effect, both of which you need, especially the latter. Try Aleve as Cherie suggested (I'm unfamiliar with Bentylol), or a similar drug (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin). Or some enteric-coated aspirin, or white willow bark (aspirin's herbal forerunner). Drink LOTS of water with the dose. I think for now, you can risk using one of these meds for a day or two a month. (And Tylenol is not exactly benign either.)I used to have horrendous, nauseating, wavelike menstrual pain too, which I blamed on known problems with my female parts probably more than I should have. Trying to figure out which system was the source of pain has been a lifelong major health hassle. Prior to performing an abdominal myomectomy my gynecologist referred me to a gastro for evaluation and I had a barium enema and colonoscopy (negative except for some narrowing of the lower colon due to the enlarged uterus). I was diagnosed with IBS at that point. I'm betting your story will be similar. Although it's no fun, debilitating pain such as you describe mandates a full diagnostic workup. I hope you find a wonderful new doctor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bentylol is the Canadian brand name for Bentyl, a common anti-spasmodic. I have been using Aleve, but I am going to try Wobenzym, which is the natural alternative for anti-inflammatories. It should be a lot easier on my stomach.Cherie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.