Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi,I failed to mention in my previous post that I also have hot/cold chills with D.Is this normal?
It can be. My IBS is not easily classifiable by the usual categories, but frequently, my head, face and neck have the sensation of becoming very hot (no sweating or flushing visible to others) while other parts of my body are not, or are even cold. I never had this prior to IBS, and it doesn't match other people's descriptions of midlife hot flashes. It also fluctuates with my other IBS symptoms, so I am pretty sure it's IBS. Take a look at this PDF from UNC Center for Functional GI Disorders. It's old, but is the most comprehensive article I've been able to find so far about common non-GI symptoms of IBS. Hot and cold sensations are listed.http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/ibs_beyond_the_bowel.pdf

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can be. My IBS is not easily classifiable by the usual categories, but frequently, my head, face and neck have the sensation of becoming very hot (no sweating or flushing visible to others) while other parts of my body are not, or are even cold. I never had this prior to IBS, and it doesn't match other people's descriptions of midlife hot flashes. It also fluctuates with my other IBS symptoms, so I am pretty sure it's IBS. Take a look at this PDF from UNC Center for Functional GI Disorders. It's old, but is the most comprehensive article I've been able to find so far about common non-GI symptoms of IBS. Hot and cold sensations are listed.http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/ibs_beyond_the_bowel.pdf
journ3,Thank you so much for the interesting link!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A normal BM can effect the vagus nerve in some people. Abdominal pain and diarrhea tend to be more likely to effect it.If it goes off severely you can even have a full faint (and some IBSers do faint on the toilet from this vasovagal syncope) but a lot of people just get the early warning signs without the faint. So feeling hot, cold, light headed, etc.It is a common cause of fainting and a lot of things can trigger it. Swallowing a pretzel the wrong way, sight of blood, BM's, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.