Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a really bad morning and I have been doing so well. The only thing I had to eat was a pear. Last night I had leftovers with no prior problem. Anybody else have pears as a trigger food?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kath MI have eaten plums and peaches all summer with no problem. Do pears have more sorbitol than other fruit? I can't tolerate sugar alcohol or sorbitol as an additive in any food so that makes sense.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I can't find a comparison chart but usually apples and pears seem to be talked about as the worst offenders. Some people can't tolerate any of the sorbitol containing fruitsTook a bit of looking but this paper has a table http://www.bashaar.org.il/files/101022005111814.pdfIt is on page two, I'll type in some stuff here.The ratio of fructose to glucose can be a factor in how much the fruit can loosen up the stools as wellFruit (100 gram)--gram frucose--gram glucose--gram sorbitol (and when it says up to I'll jsut do the number)Apples--6--1.7--1.0Pears--8.9--2.5--4.5Plums--4.0--5.5--2.8Peaches--1.5--1.5--1.3Sugarfree gum--0--0--1.3-2.2 per pieceSo pears are more than the plums and peaches sorbitol wise and much worse on the fructose to glucose ratio thing as well.K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.