Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how everyone is coping with christmas and new years, the wonderful aroma food and sweets ... lots of gatherings of friends and family... but you feel too unmotivated/depressed to particpate because you have IBS. Pretty poor attitude but what can you do eh?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The Holiday season has been horrible for me, too. My boyfriend and I split up. He couldn't handle that I was "always sick". It was too much for him. I am trying to keep my chin up and remember that the Holidays will be over soon. I am looking forward to the new year.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Tira~: I'm trying so hard to resist temptation but it doesn't always work. I'm stocking up on imodium and tums for those "mornings after".So sorry to hear JenS. "You're too good for him anyway". Or "There are other fish in the sea". Or "Every cloud has a silver lining". Or "Things are darkest before the dawn". Or "Better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all".Take whichever cliche works for you and disregard the rest.
Take care.D[This message has been edited by Delta (edited 12-21-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JenS, sorry to hear about you and your bf. It's not an easy situation. You know when you not feeling quite right and you can't explain it to you partner and they keep asking "what's wrong with you?" ... well there in lies the problem. CHin up and make sure you get a damn expensive present for yourself this christmas.Delta, my will power has ceased to exist now. I'm going to enjoy my christmas, eat a bit of everything in moderation and see how it goes!

·
Registered
546 Posts
hi jenSit really makes me mad to hear about your (ex)boyfriend. how inconsiderate! as if life werent hard enough with IBS. i'm glad he's out of the picture. i hope you find someone understanding - my wonderful boyfriend understands and sympathizes with me.
-jen

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
This is what I'm doing this year. I got my wisdom teeth taken out. It makes passing up the temptations really easy, I can't chew on them.Although this is a one shot deal. Won't help next year.Sorry about your boyfriend. The good news and the bad news about chronic illnesses like IBS is that it reveals the character of those around us. K.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is one case where the timing of the Lotronex withdrawal couldn't be any worse! I'm still in the process of figuring out what I can and cannot eat, what does and does not work if I have a flare-up (had a BAD one last Friday that kept me home from work all morning!), and just generally how I'm going to re-learn to cope AL (After Lotronex).But come Saturday we're having family over all day - about 20 people, and conversation and eating all day long. If I participate in one, I risk losing the opportunity to participate in the other. And just watching is the pits!Then there's Christmas itself - more food that maybe I can eat, maybe I can't - I just don't know yet.There just hasn't been enough time since my last Lotronex pill to get this all figured out. Am I bummed? You bet I am! Why couldn't it have been just ONE MONTH later? (Or why couldn't my prescription have gone in just a TAD sooner and been filled???)GRRRRR!!!!! Thanks for letting me rant! This has really been preoccupying me!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Jen,i'm sorry about your boyfriend,i learned that when your sick,its amazing how you really find out who really gives a damn,and who really wants to "pretend" they care until you have an attack,then they are history,i have kicked men to the curb over this and could care less at this time,because they are not worth it,i have too many good,good people around me to let this happen again,chin up girl,your worth it!! As far as the holidays,OH BOY! i made fudge,i ate it,i made cookies,i ate them,i went to a party,i drank and ate alot,i have been paying big time,but this food stuff makes me nuts! HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!
Krissy

·
Registered
568 Posts
(((JenS)))I'm sorry about your break-up. The other posters are right though, it's probably better that he is gone if he wasn't understanding of this terrible disease. You will find somebody great one day who will love you for exactly who you are. I have had Ulcerative Colitis since I was 10 years old (I'm 28 now), and so I went through the dating years with it, and got very discouraged at times myself. Had a few break-ups as well. It's not easy, but I finally found someone who is understanding and caring, and we've been married for almost 7 years now, so don't give up hope
Your Mr. Right will come along before you know it!!As far as the holidays go, I am deathly afraid to leave home after 3 accidents and being homebound for 4 months. So I have to say that I wish it would just hurry up and be gone
I've already explained to family and friends that I won't be able to go to many family gatherings. I can't eat anything away from home, because I usually end up in the bathroom right after I eat, and I hate being away from home when D hits me
I never know if I'm going to be alright after I use the restroom or if I will be doubled over in agony, and I certainly don't want to be away from home when that happens. My Mom's family is having Christmas dinner at her house, and they are about 5 minutes away, so that's not too bad. The other gatherings were all 30 minutes or more away from home, and for someone who's been homebound for 4 months, that is a long (and scary) trip, especially on Christmas when there are no bathrooms open to stop at if you need to!! So we will be going there for lunch, and then staying afterwards to open gifts with my parents and my sister & her children. So it will be a long afternoon. I don't know if I'll be able to stay for all of it. I may just show up after lunch, not sure yet. I am hoping my colon will cooperate though so I don't miss it. I'd like to celebrate Christmas at least ONCE this year
So I guess you can call me a Grinch, I want Christmas to be over
I'm very thankful for the true meaning of Christmas, don't get me wrong. But it's hard to celebrate when you feel scared and sick all the time. So put me in the "Bah, Humbug" group, LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.