Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of complaining to my doctors surgery, my local MSP and the health secretary about the appalling care in my area.My new doctors surgery is so bad it has made my IBS worse from anger, something that I am not prone too.I have now seen 3 doctors, only 1 has been useful but I cannot specify my doctor of choice easily at my new doctor, where as my old doctor was one person and we done everything strategically.The 1st doctor was the worst I was seen very late, received a medicine which was unrelated to my symptoms (as far as I am concerned) and it provided no help but increased my nausea. the 3rd doctor was the one I seen today, this time I was only 15 min late in being seen, and as soon as the words "I have IBS" came out my mouth i could see her eyes literally roll and the prescription for a useless anti spasmodic was printed before I started to list my issues. She listen to me, didn’t pay attention got everything I said wrong I corrected her twice, she handed me the prescription for the antispasmodic and sent me packing.I am not someone who officially complains about medical service and what I want the result to be is better care.Anyone know how I can achieve it?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am in the process of complaining to my doctors surgery, my local MSP and the health secretary about the appalling care in my area.My new doctors surgery is so bad it has made my IBS worse from anger, something that I am not prone too.I have now seen 3 doctors, only 1 has been useful but I cannot specify my doctor of choice easily at my new doctor, where as my old doctor was one person and we done everything strategically.The 1st doctor was the worst I was seen very late, received a medicine which was unrelated to my symptoms (as far as I am concerned) and it provided no help but increased my nausea. the 3rd doctor was the one I seen today, this time I was only 15 min late in being seen, and as soon as the words "I have IBS" came out my mouth i could see her eyes literally roll and the prescription for a useless anti spasmodic was printed before I started to list my issues. She listen to me, didn't pay attention got everything I said wrong I corrected her twice, she handed me the prescription for the antispasmodic and sent me packing.I am not someone who officially complains about medical service and what I want the result to be is better care.Anyone know how I can achieve it?
Most doctors are useless.Your best chance for help is to read about all kinds of medicins here on this forum. After that you can call your doctor and show him/her that your knowledge about the subject is superior to his, that way he will trust you and subscribe you the medicin that you want.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My old doctor was great, I would check out stuff on here, go to see him and say some people have found help with X, can I try it and he would give me a prescription after telling me the pro's and con's so I could make an informed choice if I want to try it or not.But this doctor surgery dont even listen to what you are in for

·
Registered
391 Posts
My old doctor was great, I would check out stuff on here, go to see him and say some people have found help with X, can I try it and he would give me a prescription after telling me the pro's and con's so I could make an informed choice if I want to try it or not.But this doctor surgery dont even listen to what you are in for
I know what you mean, they are great at sending you for test after test (justifying the enormous cost of machinery that they spend their money on) but if the results come back clear, you might as well just walk away, they don't want to know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry to say that I did likewise, read and read, ordered my own tests which my LAZY but NICE doctor did and asked for certain meds or samples which he gave me to try. Finally I, let me repeat that I, found some things that worked. I cannot say they are useless, I sat with one at lunch today and he said, "there field just does not have the studies to treat GI conditions and it IS frustrating." Be YOUR OWN BEST ADVOCATE! I have left this message all over these boards. It is not just for IBS or Cancer, anyone that does not push for what they think is right for them and their better health, is doomed. Push, be pushy and get it done. Be methodical and be thorough and be sure to read what has provided for us here on these forums. It is the best information in the world.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a great post on here about some new studies on drugs that might help for various ailments but I haven't been able to find it since to have suggested them to my doc today.I was hoping to get referred to prof warhall (not spelt correctly I am sure) but was pushed out the door, since a previous doctor I saw was ready for taking me off the meds I have which make a difference I have been less willing to push in case it backfires.The first doctor I saw at my new surgery wanted to take me off Asilone, Amytriptaline, motilium, lomitol and immodium plus and said all I should be having is loperimide and wrote me a prescription for a pack of i think it was 28, found it laughable that he thought that would do. had to find a different doctor who was nice enough to get me a repeat prescription to stop that happening again. However the doctor was fine me taking Ibsacol as thats imported at my expense (still cant work out if it provides benefit, nothing in it would suggest it does but every time I try to cut it out I have a larger flare up)

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Hmm...I don't know much about your health system there. But truly once a diagnosis is reached it is up to the IBS patient to do most of the trying of different treatment options.... many of which don't require prescriptions. (And I always thought one could get loperamide without a prescription there? That isn't so?... one does need a script for it??)Any way, perhaps you could try some non-prescriptive things on your own. But is there a chance you can switch to a Dr that is more willing to help guide you??? It is nice to have a Dr working WITH us to help manage our symptoms.. however, unfortunately, not everyone can find one willing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You do not need a prescription but if you buy it over the counter it is in small quantities and costs a lot more. Say £5 for a pack of 12 immodium which wouldnt last very long.If its on prescription then in theory it will become totally free eventually (phased down prescription charges at the moment and palnned to be totally free by April 2011 depending on government spending cuts, it is currently standing at £3 per prescription or £28 for a yearly certificate for all prescriptions you will require which is better for people with chronic conditions such as ourselves) and the quantities usually can be up to 200 at a time (immodium you get several packs to make higher quantities but other things can be boxed or bottled to the quantities you need)

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well then I would just tell them you need the larger quantity or else you will have to come back next week for more.
Like she said... it's ok to be assertive or even a bit of a pest when you need to stand up for yourself!In the meantime... see if you can find a Dr you like better, if that is at all possible.Also have you tried taking Calcium Carbonate supplements with no more than 45mgs of magnesium? See "Linda's Calcium" thread above us here on the D forum.All the best (and don't be shy!)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am in the process of complaining to my doctors surgery, my local MSP and the health secretary about the appalling care in my area.My new doctors surgery is so bad it has made my IBS worse from anger, something that I am not prone too.I have now seen 3 doctors, only 1 has been useful but I cannot specify my doctor of choice easily at my new doctor, where as my old doctor was one person and we done everything strategically.The 1st doctor was the worst I was seen very late, received a medicine which was unrelated to my symptoms (as far as I am concerned) and it provided no help but increased my nausea. the 3rd doctor was the one I seen today, this time I was only 15 min late in being seen, and as soon as the words "I have IBS" came out my mouth i could see her eyes literally roll and the prescription for a useless anti spasmodic was printed before I started to list my issues. She listen to me, didn't pay attention got everything I said wrong I corrected her twice, she handed me the prescription for the antispasmodic and sent me packing.I am not someone who officially complains about medical service and what I want the result to be is better care.Anyone know how I can achieve it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.