Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
15 years later, and I am freaking out, how did it come to this... did I get some virus? Did I have an ulcer that turned into IBS. Was it treatable before it became full blown intestnal nightmare disease? Was there a time in my life, and through decisions, I should have zigged, instead of Zagged? is it caused by MAP?? (for all those of us that used to drink milk). Is it generic? Did I totally screw-up sometime in the past, which led to this? If I had not gone somewhere on vacation, could I have avoided getting some tropic disease that causes this Intestinal nightmare? I am really hating asking this over and over and over for the last 15 plus years. I have been through every part of this, all the sob stories I have been through. Every day I am ful of drugs and when I am not lying down wallowing in suffer, my mind won't let me rest, it keeps asking all the questions. When I feel well enough to do something, just to keep my mind off the bad stuff. About the only thought that helps is that is could be worse. (which is a partial lie). Too much to say, but already been said. Everyone has their story. For those that look for answers, the experienced can only say each cause is a little different, but the same thing for everyone is that this is No cure. Yes, I went through all the years of research, and started the research before the Internet had health groups. But, at least those that started searching int eh last 15 years have the Internet to look for answers, Beore then, they had to only ask doctors that had no clue and misdiagnosed badly, or look at the library, which had nothing of much value for us sufferers. But, it all comes down to: who, what, where, why, and when???? How did it come to this???Just my thoughts, and another day of this..

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well the research on what starts IBS in most people seems to come down to if you are suseptible (it might be genetic as to who is and who isn't, but th studies disagree on the genetic role) and you get a GI infection (and every person on the planet will get food poisoning or a stomach bug sooner or later) the inflamation from fighting it off damages the nervous system.While you find lots of people who suffer badly for decades there are also people that go into remission (they just don't tend to post on all the boards with one day I woke up and it was gone stories).They are starting to get a fairly good handle on the physiological differences between IBSers and normal people, which gives me a great deal of hope.I really don't have any symptoms anymore (and what I have is in the range of what normal people have and about the same frequency). I did a clinical trial and got put in the Cog. Behav. Therapy group and it worked for me (and about 70% of the people who were in the study).While there are lots of stories of people who never find anything, if you read here you also find lots of people who found a stategy that worked for them. May be diet, may be drugs, may be the new drugs specific for IBS, may be supplements or other lifestyle changes, and quite a few who did Hypnotherapy that works a lot like the CBT I did for about the same % of people. The "mind/body" stuff works because the nerves of the gut talk to the nerves in your brain and you can change how that communication goes.I hope you find something that helps!K.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi and welcome. I know how you feel 100%. I hate this IBS and so wish I could get rid of it.. It does control my life too.Hope you feel beterKAt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.