Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering whether anyone else developed IBS after having a stomach virus. I had a stomach bug this past April, with attacks again in May and June, and since then I've been struggling with bouts of nausea and (occasionally) diarrhea--which has been diagnosed as IBS. The nausea is worse than the D; it feels like a fist clenched inside me, just above my belly button. I'm not even sure I have IBS. One reason is several people I work with have, starting this past spring, been struggling with symptoms almost identical to mine. I only have about 30 coworkers, and for 4 of us to have the same exact problems at the same time seems like too much of a coincidence. But maybe we all had the same virus, then all got IBS from it? Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Cigarettes; but that would just be the final insult to a digestive system I hadn't taken good care of, ever. Long term, aggressive supplementation has taken care of this plus a raft of similar health problems. I continue to be healthier than any time in the last 20 plus years. (Others can do this, too...most won't.)Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe mine was from extreme stress at work and working 60 - 80 hours a week. Started vomiting during the night around May of 2001. Then vomiting during the day at work. Had to leave meetings and I thought life was hell then. I was very wrong. Then the intestinal pains, diarrhea, exhaustion, flu like symtoms started in June and finally had to leave work in July. Life had really been hell since. A new doctor here in Tucson has slowly changed all my meds and I think I'll be okay soon. At least that's what I keep telling myself......LOL

·
Registered
888 Posts
like gret, i cant place mine to one incident either. a year ago it came out of the blue and hasnt gone away since. its much better now because i manage it better thanks to medication. i did have problems as a child but i think it was anxiety more than anything and beta blockers worked and then i sort of grew out of the anxiety. i moved away from home and 18 months later.......wham bam the ibs started

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine started after my ex-husband left me (for another woman) and I developed anorexia as a result of the stress. Once I started eating again, the IBS symptoms started showing up (in addition to the dairy allergies and chemical allergies, etc.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine started when we found out some of the children on our street had been molested by a neighbor. One was my best friends son. My nephew told when he tried it with him. I had my first back pain at the first preliminary hearing, later diagnosed as Fibromyalgia. Then the IBS. The mans in jail, the kids are great. So to me, if I have to suffer with Fibro and IBS, thats okay because at least the kids are okay.God Bless

G

·
never a day of trouble till i became anorexic, starting eat a highcarb/lowfat/hi-fiber diet, and artificial sweeteners. smoking didn't help either. my body hasn't been the same since - dry hair, strange nails, dry skin, fat around my middle and not on my butt (used to be the other way around). i'm just a person re-arranged. i do not think my ibs has much to do with stress.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I started a raw food diet in response to an unrelated problem with sudden onset (truly excessive salivation, embarrassing and dismissed by my doc). it fixed the original problem but IBS started up. i came off it but my digestion didn't go back to normal. at least the original prob hasn't returned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi there,mine started 17 yrs ago when i went away to school. i guess i didnt think at the time i was stressed out but looking back i was. started with ibs-c..then i moved to another state and at the age of 19 had horrible eating habits...gained some wt ..yo-yo dieted..ibs-c became worse...then i got into nutrition..became a certified aerobic instructor/personal trainer..at better than ever. my ibs-c became worse (go figure). 26 got married, horrible marriage, ibs a disaster, got a colonoscopy was told i had an elongated colon..doctor told me there was nothing i could do it would only get worse with age (nice huh) got divorced 5 yrs later. basically lost 25 lbs weighed about 100 lbs from stress..got over that gained wt got re-married...i am the less stressed than ever in my life great hubby nice house and my ibs -c is the horrible..i am getting tested monday for h.pylori and other tests..i cant figure it out...i think if i did i would be a millionaire ha ha ha....i just want one day of feeling normal..however that feels..so you are not alone...have a good day christine

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine started about 6 months after the birth of my daughter. I found being a mom pretty stressful in the beginning. It started as nausea and I thought I had a stomach bug, but it just never went away.Deirdre

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello WoodswomanSorry to hear all the trouble that you have been having with your IBS. Are you on medication from your doctor?? I am taking a drug called Mebeverine that seems to help but is by no means 100 percent effective.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Mine came on about 15 or more yrs ago when I was about 45, once in a while like every two months I would get violent diarreha, I thought it was the flu or bad food. Then the episodes started coming more and more often and getting worse. Went to GI doc , had the tests and was diag. with IBS D, which by the way, I think is what they tell you when they do not know what the ##### is wrong with you in the first place!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.