Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry. I tried to check if this is already a thread. I saw ones that were from last year and older.Just read in the paper that the new flu like symptoms sound alot like IBS. So how in the world am I going to be able to tell if my son has the flu or really bad IBS? With all the other stuff that is going on in our lives right now, it is almost like he has the flu (from what the paper said). The boys and I run low grade fevers alot. Sorry if I am sounding stupid. Sometimes it just helps to write to you guys to try to get my head on straight. Sometimes my mind just isn't working right.
mom

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Do you have the "low grade fever" all the time, even when you feel well? 98.6 is the middle of the range, some people always run normally a degree high or a degree low. I run low. Well or sick.Not sure which "new flu" they are talking about.A recent stomach virus (because that would be most like IBS) or influenza (which is mostly respiratory and fatigue).Most typically for me the big thing is what happens when I go to sleep. Stomach viruses keep going often all night long. IBS diarrhea usually stops at night (this can vary, but it is the most common pattern for IBS)The other is how frequent and watery the diarrhea is and for how long. I may go 2-3 time with an IBS bout with loose stools. When it is very watery and it is 2-3 times and hour for several hours, that is the flu.K.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Eric, I tried to check before I started this thread. I guess I didn't know the right words to put in the "find" thingy. Our newspaper says that the 'good ole flu bug' is the "head and body aches, and congestion." The new one they are talking about has "gastrointestinal problems" with the other symptoms. The flu shot this year will not help this kind of flu. That's what the paper said. Another paper I read yesterday (at the Dr. office) named the IBS symptoms when they described the new flu that is going around.Kathleen: we just get the low-grade fevers a couple times a week, just enough to make us check to see if we have one. You know, just feeling a bit warmer than usual. I think like you said, it will be about 1 to 1 and a half degrees more than our normal. My youngest and I run normally about 98.4, and my oldest is like his dad, normal is about 97.0. So for my youngest and I, 99.9 is noticed, but if my oldest gets into the 99.0's he is feeling bad.Hope you all have a good day!
mom

·
Registered
359 Posts
Most doctors don't even consider it a fever unless the temp is 101 or more. I wouldn't worry about the 1 to 1 1/2 degree difference. It can be caused by taking the temp at different times of the day or how long since you ate or drank anything. Different activities can also account for the temperature differences.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A freind that I had emailed about this new flu (and she knows about our IBS) told me that her grandson has been home with stomach problems (with diarrhea) and a fever. So I guess you guys are right about the higher fever being the indicator of 'flu or IBS.' Thanks guys!!Love All, mom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.