Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Vegas in May and I'm afraid I'll have a full blown IBS attack b/c I'm afraid to fly and I'll be eating out alot! Plus, I'm going with some family that just don't know how bad my IBS is. I mean some mornings my cramps are unbearable and I haven't been on vacation in 5 yrs since I was 16!! Help!! Anyone have any advice??

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
First I want to say, don't let IBS keep you from going on vacation! Having a positive attitude that your going to go and have fun helps a lot!We've done a lot of traveling over the past few years. Some as little as 4 hour car trips, others as long as 10 hour car rides. Usually we end up in the middle of no where during them, with no bathroom in site.I do really well on trips. I usually will plug myself up with Immodium though. And I know that probably isn't the greatest thing to do, taking it daily. But it does get me through. We were gone for 5 days last month for a funeral out of town. I didn't have a bowel movement once, because of the Immodium. And luckily I didn't have any pain either. It was nice!!Also choose wisely when eating out. Like if it's fast food try to get Subway over Taco Bell!! That kind of thing. In restuarants I get baked chicken, or other things I can usually tolorate okay.In July were going to Disneyland (10 hour drive) for a week. And I always have this little sense of dread, because my IBS makes things so hard for me. But I refuse to let it keep me home anymore and stop me from enjoying my life. I think once you get to that point your able to relax more and that does help. The Immodium is my life saver for trips. I know not everyone can take it, or wants to take it though. But I know it has let me enjoy many many vacations!
Have FUN in Vegas!!
Jennifer

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
First I want to say, don't let IBS keep you from going on vacation! Having a positive attitude that your going to go and have fun helps a lot!We've done a lot of traveling over the past few years. Some as little as 4 hour car trips, others as long as 10 hour car rides. Usually we end up in the middle of no where during them, with no bathroom in site.I do really well on trips. I usually will plug myself up with Immodium though. And I know that probably isn't the greatest thing to do, taking it daily. But it does get me through. We were gone for 5 days last month for a funeral out of town. I didn't have a bowel movement once, because of the Immodium. And luckily I didn't have any pain either. It was nice!!Also choose wisely when eating out. Like if it's fast food try to get Subway over Taco Bell!! That kind of thing. In restuarants I get baked chicken, or other things I can usually tolorate okay.In July were going to Disneyland (10 hour drive) for a week. And I always have this little sense of dread, because my IBS makes things so hard for me. But I refuse to let it keep me home anymore and stop me from enjoying my life. I think once you get to that point your able to relax more and that does help. The Immodium is my life saver for trips. I know not everyone can take it, or wants to take it though. But I know it has let me enjoy many many vacations!
Have FUN in Vegas!!
Jennifer

·
Registered
476 Posts
I know how you feel. I have a holiday in August (whihc my DAD booked for us all! NOT ME! I wouldnt have gone away this year!) and also next summer is my wedding!Im scared about the holiday as I dont know if I will cope and Im petrified of having an accident in front of all the holiday-makers on the coach and in front of my family. Isnt this horrid??!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I know how you feel. I have a holiday in August (whihc my DAD booked for us all! NOT ME! I wouldnt have gone away this year!) and also next summer is my wedding!Im scared about the holiday as I dont know if I will cope and Im petrified of having an accident in front of all the holiday-makers on the coach and in front of my family. Isnt this horrid??!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Be prepared!! That's my best advice. Bring tons of 'safe' snacks or even bring a cooler of food with you as your carry on! Bring tons of whatever meds you need (OTC like Immodium or calcium, etc) and maybe, like Homebound, take a little more that usual before the flight. Bring relaxing music, anything to distract you before and during the flight. Do you know where your seats are on the plane in reference to the bathroom? Sometimes I like to be way in the back where I don't have to be too far from the bathrooms. And if you do end up with bad cramping in the morning, just tell them you'll have to stay behind then or whatever. I mean, if someone else in your family had an upset stomach one morning, I'm sure they'd work around it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Be prepared!! That's my best advice. Bring tons of 'safe' snacks or even bring a cooler of food with you as your carry on! Bring tons of whatever meds you need (OTC like Immodium or calcium, etc) and maybe, like Homebound, take a little more that usual before the flight. Bring relaxing music, anything to distract you before and during the flight. Do you know where your seats are on the plane in reference to the bathroom? Sometimes I like to be way in the back where I don't have to be too far from the bathrooms. And if you do end up with bad cramping in the morning, just tell them you'll have to stay behind then or whatever. I mean, if someone else in your family had an upset stomach one morning, I'm sure they'd work around it. Good luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I usually have more problems when I travel too. Immodium is a big help. I also wear a disposable underwear product from Depends that doesn't show, but gives me some confidence. I've never had an accident wearing one so I don't know for sure how it would work, but it makes me feel more secure. enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I usually have more problems when I travel too. Immodium is a big help. I also wear a disposable underwear product from Depends that doesn't show, but gives me some confidence. I've never had an accident wearing one so I don't know for sure how it would work, but it makes me feel more secure. enjoy your trip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.