Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left school at 16 to work full time and got my GED, they wanted me to spend 3 extra years to make up the missed school due to my IBS-d. It got so bad I turned to anorexia and sadly did very well, was able to work daily and be completely active until I hit 90lbs and my hair was falling out and my heart started palpitating insanely. Anyway tons of pills and 130 pounds heavier I'm trying to go to college after being fired from my last 3 jobs. I need to know how you all do it. I keep missing courses and even missed a final! It was worth so much I went from an A to a B, talk about a smear on your GPA. What I need to know is how you all find it possible to work, how do you not get fired all the time from your jobs? They claim it's not because of my health, that it's just not working out, but in my state there's a 90 day no questions asked hire-fire policy. I don't know how to finish my degree or even get done and into my masters program or how I'll ever be able to hold a job down and it just makes me nervous. This has become a huge problem between me and my fiance, although he's been supportive over the past 4 years, he doesn't understand this has had a grip on the past 10 years of my life and isn't going away. How do you make it stop. How do you hold a job and finish school? How do you make people understand you aren't some freak with a bum problem? I just don't get it. Any of you, please help. I am new to these forums, quite new to talking to anyone about this, seems taboo. Now I feel like I'm spilling my guts, maybe its the anonymity. And for those of you with the success, all the books I've read are by these people who say you must be insanely fit, no body fat and never eat processed, fat, or sugary foods, so am I supposed to run 10 miles every day and eat broccoli and water? HELP!!!!!!! Thank you.The Moozer.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I completely understand what you are going through. I have just quit my job and beginning to panic about the future. I am 28 and still live with mu mum and help with the bills. My savings are starting to run out and I don't know what I am going to do.I also had to practically starve myself in the summer months and lost about 2 stone. My shifts were 8.15 - 9pm and I had to get out of bed at 6am so that I could try and block myself before work. My boss was very good and knew all about it ( is a friend) but they don't really understand why you have to go home if the diarrhea is bad. Though I am sure they would in a flash - we have to deal with it every day. I had to take people to their campsite pitches and quite often could not be near to loo which made me panic like mad. So in the end I couldn't eat anything while at work and that was a really long day. I had to walk miles so I really struggled. I went to my doctor so many times and in the end it was agreed that I can take my imodium (loperamide hydrochloride) every day as this allows me to be fairly normal. I can still at least do a few things. I really know how you feel and am as fed up as you are. At least you know you are not alone.

·
Registered
584 Posts
But I bet that felt good to let some out, didn't it?In the end what worked for me was a little tough love from my mother. And since then I've been known to dole it out to others. At the time I really didn't know how to go on.But in life we have two choices. We can either lay down and let something else control our lives, or we can go head first into the world and sap every bit out of it that we can. You have to ask yourself. Do you really want to be confined to a life in a room or do you want to experience life? Anything worth having in this lifetime has to be fought for. Yes it takes strength, for some of us a lot of it. But the strong find a way.How do you do it? Becoming educated will help put you at ease and let you know this is something you can live with if you put your mind to it. I wouldn't pay to much credence to any specific diet, persay, but pay attention to what your body tells you. The food trigger thing is overblown, though most of us do have a few trigger foods, they differ for all of us. If you think about it, I'm sure you already know what foods, if any, are no-no's for you.You don't need to run 10 miles per day, but being in shape in general and eating a balanced diet is a pretty good thing for just about everybody. I can only handle like 9 1/2 miles per day myself, lol.Tackle that anxiety. Give yourself the tools to help yourself. Some form of therapy, whether it be the cbt tapes, a live human, or my witty sense of humor (or not). It will help you deal with things on a whole new level. I personally saw a therapist for business people for about a year to help me with the rigors of working a full time job.Controlled breathing will help ease the pain, can help with that problem of using the can every 10 minutes and with the anxiety.Beyond that a good doctor. One you trust and believe in. Don't accept anything less than that.And let that fiance of yours know that you appreciate them any time you can. I know it's hard being me, but it's also hard to live with me, too. My wife gets frustrated because she sees the agony I'm in, knows the doctors can't do anything about it, but what really bothers her is there's nothing she can do to help me. Sometimes just telling her that just standing by my side is all I need and is appreciated makes her feel a little better about it.Good Luck.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think the fear is very hard. I get where I will have a bad few months and panic that I won't be able to work, ever go out again, etc. and then I manage to get things under control (I hope) and function again.Medications have helped me in the past: paxil and effexor. Right now I am trying to get pregnant so I'm afraid to take anything and I'm very afraid of losing my job. I also hate being on meds because whenever I have to come off of them, it is about 2-3 months of sickness.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know how you feel, I've felt like that too, where I thought I would have to drop out of college and just stay indoors forever, next to my beloved toilet. But I just couldn't bear the thought of it, and decided to be proactive about it. The first thing was to get anxiety medication, and then go to therapy. That helped me a lot. My therapist thought me breathing exercises, to get relaxed, as you can't be anxious and relaxed at the same time as they are opposites. I started taking calcium, and on D days, Immodium, which I never leave the house without. The next thing is to tell as many people as possible. I know is very embarassing at first, but once you tell a couple of people it gets easier. That way my professors knew about it, one even offered me the opportunity to take exams alone in her office. All of this allowed me to finish the term with an 4.0. I know there will be bad days, that's something that I have to accept, but the good days taste even sweeter. I don't exercise at all (loved the sarcasm Art) and only watch what I eat if I have a big day ahead of me, if not I eat anything more or less. My husband is very supportive, all our partners need their own support group, Bless them.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
First, Hi Moni!!!!
I've missed ya! How was Christmas and how's your break going or are you already back in the swing of things?OK, second, way to go Art and Moni! Miss Moozer, you were given some great advice from two great people!You do have to decide that IBS will NOT control your life. That is the #1 decision you have to make before you can go anywhere else with this. Once you decide that, then you read, read, read the posts on this forum. You talk to your doctor. If your doctor is no good, get another! If you're depressed, anxious, there are methods to help. And, remember, what works for one person, may not work for the other. You have to do the trial and error thing. For me, I keep it under fairly good control with Librax for cramping and Immodium to get the Bm's under control. I take 60 mg of Cymbalta (antidepressant) and would not be without it. It's helped with my wellbeing and my IBS. You are not alone. Utilize this site; we are here for you and you CAN do this! You can have a life with this crappy disease! No pun!
We're here for ya!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's my most major dilemma, I'm about to age out of the medical care I got through my parents by going back to college and my doc started tapering me off meds. I have tried a million anti-depression and anti-anxiety pills (got a little fond of clonapin but that's a different story) and have had a few periods where it was manageable. Before the not eating at all thing caused heart issues it worked so beautifully, mix that with 10-12 immodium and pepto a day and I could live. However now with my fiance he watches me like a hawk about my eating to make sure I do, and in theory I'm supposed to try to spread out eating throughout the day. Do any of you wait til night to eat too? I eat just before bed so I can get through the day, however it's messed up my metabolism and supposedly makes the ibs worse according to my doc. Do any of you not have health benefits? I'm considering seeing a new doc with the last 6 months I have medical but I worry that will seem like doctor fishing. I just don't know what to do. Have any of you heard of this new antibiotic treatment they've been having success with? I read a report in the paper at the prompting of my mom some time back, now I need to get my HMO to let me try it, not sure if it would help, but I need to get a job so I can get my own health benefits, but can't do that while tied to a potty, this you all know. Do any of you work from home? My mom has tried to convince my to change my major to something I can do as a telecommuting position where I only have to go in a few days a week (oh joy, I could stay at home and work, lord knows I don't feel trapped here and want out in the real world a little each day) but maybe until I master controlling it working at home would help? Is it too personal to ask what kind of work people do? Sorry. Still excited about people who know how I feel. Also, do any of you get the looking pregnant thing when you eat? Granted I'm fat, but then I eat and look like I'm ready to deliver, even when I was scrawny it would happen. You can feel the outline of my stomach, it's like it turns into a rock, when you push on my gut, my doctor says this is normal but everyone who sees it thinks I must be insane. Also, what happens when you guys came off of your medicines? I've gone from 300 effexor to 33.75 or something like that and noticed little change and have been off my anti-anxiety medicine for over a year, but I've also been in bad flare up for 1 1/2 years now. Also side opinion, do you think someone with IBS could ever work hard enough to get themselves into med school without this stupid disease getting in the way all the time? Since I could first cut food I wanted to be a surgeon, however I don't think anyone would give me a scalpel when I'm running to the potty a billion times an hour. *sigh* how do you all thrive? I am jealous

·
Registered
426 Posts
Heya MissMoozerI know exactly how yuo feel Im sort of at the same point in my life as you are. Ive been working full time and coping with the IBS-D for years and somehow I just dont know how I can do it and if I can continue doing it. Im realizing now that Im doing a lot of very unhealthy things just to get by. I like you, only eat at night most of the time. I may have a few light snacks of something i know wont make me sick throughout the day but no full meals until Im at home. I know this is bad for your health, which is why Im now turning to my dr to try and help me get this under control. The whole not eating during the day is a major reason why Ive been able to get through the last few years of working. All I can really recomend is that you work with your doctor while you can (and dont be afraid to switch drs) and see if yuo can find something that works for you. It sucks, its hard, and Im terrified of going through trials and not finding something that works, but its all you can really do. I dont currently work from home but I will hopefully be doing so in about 4 months, Im starting a small business course in 2 weeks and will be starting my own clothing store. Im nervous but it will be so worth it!Just hang in there, do your best, and if yuo want to be a surgeon go for it! If you arent completely sure then why not try and find a professor or someone in the field who can provide you with some advice?Take care

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Jan!
I'm still in my Xmas break. My IBS is very good right now, that's not unexpected as I'm just hanging out at home. Good to hear from you girl!Miss Moozer: I'm in college and I start nursing school in January, and I also have two children. I say, if you really want to go to med school, the only thing you can do is do your best, you'll regret it later if you don't at least try. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.