Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity.. how do you manage at work? You can't have ibs D without everyone knowing right? I happen to work in a dental offic witch has a bathroom close by. But I also have a very understandig boss. I've cracked many jokes about it over the years so my coworkers feel ok about it. My boss isn't getting any younger. He will retire in a couple of years. I worry how hard it must be to work and not be penilized for the problem. It must be really tough for you guys who don't have a great boss.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My boss happens to be 3 years old.
And just mastered this bathroom business 6 months ago himself. So no worries there.
I thank God I'm able to be a stay at home mom. Which was my job of choice to begin with. Having stomach problems, it's been a great added advantage.I really don't know how you guys work. We want one more child, and when both of them are in school I would like to work part time. To fill up my time and bring in some extra money. I'm really hoping by then I have a better handle on my stomach. Kudos to all of you who work though!! I admire you!Jennifer

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My boss happens to be 3 years old.
And just mastered this bathroom business 6 months ago himself. So no worries there.
I thank God I'm able to be a stay at home mom. Which was my job of choice to begin with. Having stomach problems, it's been a great added advantage.I really don't know how you guys work. We want one more child, and when both of them are in school I would like to work part time. To fill up my time and bring in some extra money. I'm really hoping by then I have a better handle on my stomach. Kudos to all of you who work though!! I admire you!Jennifer

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a great boss and told her about two months ago I have IBS, she was so understanding. I don't get as anxious as I use to as I know that if I am late for work, or can't attend a meeting, she now knows why. I wish I told her sooner!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a great boss and told her about two months ago I have IBS, she was so understanding. I don't get as anxious as I use to as I know that if I am late for work, or can't attend a meeting, she now knows why. I wish I told her sooner!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't care what my employer thinks about my medical problem of IBS-D. I belong to a union that protects me. All I have to do is get a note from my doctor stating I have this problem. When it comes to eating out, I just tell people I have a sensitive stomach and have to watch what I eat.I can take sick time off any time I want because someone else can do my job. But I would guess that in some jobs like yours is not that easy to take too much sick time off. My advise is to tell the new dentist you have this med problem. Some bossess are not very understanding of any medical on going problem a person might have. I remember once, a boss said to me he didn;t feel sorry that I had been ill for a week. I made more money than he did with less responsibilities. He couldn't fire me either because I was protected by his boss. So I didn't care what he thought of me. But I did quit soon after and found a better job. I believe God takes care of me as long as I am willing to work. I am an expert in my field. Yes, I have to drag myself to work and wish I didn't have to work but I love having money. Yes, some of my co-workers resent it when I take sick time off but they are not ill with IBS, I have that problem and I plan to keep on taking care of ME with the help of God.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't care what my employer thinks about my medical problem of IBS-D. I belong to a union that protects me. All I have to do is get a note from my doctor stating I have this problem. When it comes to eating out, I just tell people I have a sensitive stomach and have to watch what I eat.I can take sick time off any time I want because someone else can do my job. But I would guess that in some jobs like yours is not that easy to take too much sick time off. My advise is to tell the new dentist you have this med problem. Some bossess are not very understanding of any medical on going problem a person might have. I remember once, a boss said to me he didn;t feel sorry that I had been ill for a week. I made more money than he did with less responsibilities. He couldn't fire me either because I was protected by his boss. So I didn't care what he thought of me. But I did quit soon after and found a better job. I believe God takes care of me as long as I am willing to work. I am an expert in my field. Yes, I have to drag myself to work and wish I didn't have to work but I love having money. Yes, some of my co-workers resent it when I take sick time off but they are not ill with IBS, I have that problem and I plan to keep on taking care of ME with the help of God.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I work part-time and do at times spend more time in the bathroom or at home than I do in work. I do get hassel from them and they do think that my IBS-D is an excuse. Some days it gets me down and others I just think sod em ! I am however in general finding work hard. I just need to win the lottery and never work again ! !

·
Registered
766 Posts
I work part-time and do at times spend more time in the bathroom or at home than I do in work. I do get hassel from them and they do think that my IBS-D is an excuse. Some days it gets me down and others I just think sod em ! I am however in general finding work hard. I just need to win the lottery and never work again ! !

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My bosses have known since before they hired me; I think they were impressed that I was up front about it. Since my bonuses are really good every month I'm obviously getting the job done, despite the bad days of frequent bathroom trips or the sick days (I seem to average one sick day a month). It really helps to have an understanding boss and to not care if people notice you trotting to the bathroom every hour or so. In fact I think all my co-workers feel sorry for me
. I have even overheard them say, "Should we save some of this for WD?" and then, "Oh, no, she definately can't eat that, save some of the such-and-such instead." I think honesty is always the best policy.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My bosses have known since before they hired me; I think they were impressed that I was up front about it. Since my bonuses are really good every month I'm obviously getting the job done, despite the bad days of frequent bathroom trips or the sick days (I seem to average one sick day a month). It really helps to have an understanding boss and to not care if people notice you trotting to the bathroom every hour or so. In fact I think all my co-workers feel sorry for me
. I have even overheard them say, "Should we save some of this for WD?" and then, "Oh, no, she definately can't eat that, save some of the such-and-such instead." I think honesty is always the best policy.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I left the full-time workforce a year ago. I experienced such humiliation with co-workers due to the time I spent in the bathroom. It was very difficult. The commute was also tough as my last job required an hour and half commute to Manhattan each way. For the past year I've been able to do freelance consulting work and much of it has been done from home over the phone or by e-mail. People differ in the severity of their IBS. For those with mild to moderate IBS, it may be possible to hold down a full-time job. For those with severe IBS, it is nearly impossible. Most employers will just not tolerate the amount of time away from one's desk or the number of sick days.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I left the full-time workforce a year ago. I experienced such humiliation with co-workers due to the time I spent in the bathroom. It was very difficult. The commute was also tough as my last job required an hour and half commute to Manhattan each way. For the past year I've been able to do freelance consulting work and much of it has been done from home over the phone or by e-mail. People differ in the severity of their IBS. For those with mild to moderate IBS, it may be possible to hold down a full-time job. For those with severe IBS, it is nearly impossible. Most employers will just not tolerate the amount of time away from one's desk or the number of sick days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I never had a problem till I got a new boss, (a true jerk) I work on the phones, and she thinks we should save all our trips to the bathroom for breaks and lunch, Well the day came and it was impossible to do that I explained my problem to her and she suggested I take shorter breaks or lunch to make up for it. I would almost think this would be a legal issue. Anybody ever look into that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I never had a problem till I got a new boss, (a true jerk) I work on the phones, and she thinks we should save all our trips to the bathroom for breaks and lunch, Well the day came and it was impossible to do that I explained my problem to her and she suggested I take shorter breaks or lunch to make up for it. I would almost think this would be a legal issue. Anybody ever look into that?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I continue to work full-time but I do have very understanding co-workers. They know that if I come racing out of a room to clear the way to the bathroom, or if they can't find me for a while that they need to put a patient in a room for me. I don't see how I could possibly work if it weren't for their understanding and help. My boss also knows about my IBS-D and is very understanding about it. I never miss an entire day of work because of it though, I have been late on occasion when I just can't get out of the potty in the morning but I always go to work.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I continue to work full-time but I do have very understanding co-workers. They know that if I come racing out of a room to clear the way to the bathroom, or if they can't find me for a while that they need to put a patient in a room for me. I don't see how I could possibly work if it weren't for their understanding and help. My boss also knows about my IBS-D and is very understanding about it. I never miss an entire day of work because of it though, I have been late on occasion when I just can't get out of the potty in the morning but I always go to work.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The commute is bad for me too. I only have about a 40 min. drive and have stopped at every bathroom in between at some point. Now with the snow comming and longer commute time I'm anxious just thinking about it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The commute is bad for me too. I only have about a 40 min. drive and have stopped at every bathroom in between at some point. Now with the snow comming and longer commute time I'm anxious just thinking about it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
hii am grateful that i have mild/moderate ibs. i get the unexpected D once in a while here at work. i work in a small office, so i always fear that clients and co workers will hear me having the big D, or that i'll have to make more than 2 trips to the bathroom in a small amount of time, therefore bringing a lot of unwanted attention to myself. i am very thankful when i am able to be home for these D attacks, but it doesnt always work out that way of course. my boss doesnt know, and i'd be too embarassed to tell him and its not something that happens often here. fortunately i have my own office space so when i have crazy gas i can let it go and not offend anyone's nose. i also keep citrus spray in my desk, close at hand to clear up the air. fun fun fun!
jj-oh life is ironic. 2 hours after i wrote this i started getting cramps. i didnt feel "right" this morning so i took an extra immodium which i think helped cuz though i just had an unpleasant exchange with the toilet a few minutes ago, it wasnt as bad as it could've been. of course the waiting room is full of people, and i feel like they all know what just happened. ugh! needless to say, my trusty citrus spray came to the rescue of countless would-be victims' noses.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.