Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably something most IBSers can't control since attacks occur at random times, but for those of you who do, how do you manage to go to the bathroom at the same time everyday? Maybe this isn't the same for everyone, but before I had these IBS symptoms I was always going to the bathroom everyday around 2 or 3. It just happened to occur around that time because that's when I would get out of school and I never wanted to use the bathrooms there or any public restroom. A few summers ago, I was working at a public garden and found myself so exhausted that when I returned home I slept it off or didn't feel the need to go (the job was physically demanding). Eventually I tried moving my BMs to the morning by holding it in until the time arrived. But even then there were times when I woke up late and rushed to work without a BM (and held it in until the next morning). When I went back to school, I had some bowel issues but eventually they went away and I was consistently going to the bathroom at about 11 in the morning right before lunch.But since I've been experiencing IBS symptoms, it's been a goal of mine to find a time to go to the bathroom. I have a theory that I'd like to test out this next month while I'm on winter break; I plan on being completely scheduled with all of my daily routines meaning eating meals at the same time and going to sleep at the same time. I'll also include going to the gym almost everyday in hopes of improving my metabolism. I'd like to go some time in the morning, preferably right after breakfast. It's what I've been trying to do for the past few months but my schedule has been very erratic. I'm starting to get the feeling that I just wasn't meant to go in the morning but more so during the afternoon. I know it sounds like a bizarre statement but if this experiment for the next month doesn't work, I think I'll try moving my BM's to the afternoon.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've trained myself to go every morning after breakfast. I'm obsessive about it because it reduces the likelihood of me getting D during the day. The method I find works best- sit on the loo and read a book/magazine, even if you don't feel you can go. Your body will learn the routine. Sometimes i have to sit there for half an hour but it's better than worrying all day.Another thing- in some East Asian countries they use a sort of foot-stool when having a BM. Apparently putting your feet up on something and pressing down increases abdominal pressure!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.