Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask everyone here how they dealt with all the comments made directly or indirectly about their gas? I unfortunately talk alot about standing up , but the truth is I just sit sit there and take it. I don't know what else to do. I have read that a lot of people have quit there jobs, I don't have the financial stability to do that so I have to find a way to put up with it. Does anyone have any advice?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Unfortunately the way people react to this problem is not as an illness like they would resp[ond to a person with cancer. There are no flowers, chocolates they send you. I think the first thing you need to do 1)is accept that you have an illness, as devastaing on your quality of life as any other serioous illness. In fact more devastating than other illnesses where there is ample social support. Once you accept that you have an illness, a physiological illness, 2) be kinder to yourself and not blame yourself for the illness. I think half the problem comes out of blaming yourself because you really do compound the problem when you do that. You really need to stop blaming yourself. If you could control it of course you would. So you have an illness for whic you are not at fault. 3)Once you start thinking that way you can convey it to others in a way which engenders compassion. I would suggest telling people that you have digestive problems and to not have them you would have to starve yourself and even then it might not work. You can say it is a part of Irritale bowel syndrome. Not everybody with this illness has it but some rare people do. 4)You can show them through actions that it really bothers you. I am assuming that you don't go out to eat with your coworkers. Next time they invite you tell thenm you can't because your digestive problems will act up even more. You don't know when I tell people this or go out to eat at their place and then tell them immediately after eating that I have to leave consistently, they feel really bad for me. They have all told me understandingly "don't bother we have all had problems" and they show a lot of concern that I am always missing out on fun. So show by your actions that you are concerned about the effect that gayour gas has on them and that you try to spare them where you can. If they don't invite you out just tell them straight off the bat that you try to avoid outings if you can because of your illness. And that unfortumnately you can't skip work and that is regrettable. 5) also after telling them make sure they see you spraying some air freshener every half an hour and if they ask you why say that it is because of your problem and that you are trying to be considerate of them.6)If after telling them about it and they are still inconsiderate, try to think of them as people blaming you for a heart attack or cncer. You wouldn't reaally care would you?. You would just be focusing on getting better and making yourself as comfortable as you could. If they can't give you sympathy, you give yourself some7) the last thing you can do if they are still inconsiderate, report to your boss. I did once and tld him that a colleague was laughing at the fact that I was passing gas so frequently. My boss came and in a meeting gave him a good glare. That poor chap didn't realize what he was getting the glare for but atleast I felt the boss was on my side. Also tell them that the IFFGD is working to explain it to members of congress and for the really serious cases they are trying to get it recognized as a disability.It is true and that should shut them up. 8)Further you can ask them if the skunk is meant to represent you because if it does you will report it to Human Resources. Tell them at this last stage"For heaven's sake I have an illness which I can't control.This is harassment" And report it if it does not stop even then.Hope it helps!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that my boss is one of the ring leaders of the harrassment. She always looks at me in a disgussted type of manner. I don't feel comfortable talking to her. I am afraid that it will result in more ridicule.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
You need to go through all the steps of explaining your illess which I listed from 1) to 5). You need to tell it to them imn a way which engenders compassion. I think you haven't had a heart to heart to them. I would suggest going through steps 1) through 5) with your boss. Also ask her after following steps 1) through 5) if she thinks Human resources could do anything a bout the harassment you perceive from others. Don't tell her that you perceive her to be the harasser. But that gets the message across that you are willing to go to human resources. But please please go through the first few steps. You might be surprised by how they react. Report back to us after those steps. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.