Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only one that is housebound by abdominal pain and such. How do you entertain yourself when everyone is going out, having drinks, coffee, having fun in public places and you can't go because pain distracts you from having fun? I'm bored of movies and video games. What do you do to enjoy life ? How to not be bitter because your life revolves around this crappy illness?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I registered for online lessons at Geek-U www.geekstogo.com to learn how to remove malware-spyware and viruses. Lessons are free and then you get to help people online through help forums. You don't need any knowledge in computers, they'll teach you everything you need to know :) Several hours passed on my pratice logs up to now! That said, if computers arn't your thing, I recently started cross-stiching and I try to keep up my clarinette skills... I know, after a few weeks, you run out of movies and videogames just don't cut it... but with a good mix of everything, it passes time!Cheers!

·
Registered
722 Posts
It certainly is an awful illness!I read magazines, do wordsearches,if i can, i play games on the WII if i can manage it.My husband works shifts so for me that is quite good as i have a bit of company at times and i have some close friends and family who visit also_One thing i have tried to keep, my sense of humour which can help at times although the last thing you might want to do is laugh.As a family we like to play card or board games,if i cant manage i just sit and watch everyone else,which can be funny.But to be honest if my days are so bad with pain and symptoms i just try and cope best i can,resting and probably feeling very sorry for myself.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Mostly replaced my life with the tv and films, my computer and picking up playing the piano and talking to other people on here. Although for most of the time I also used to feel really miserable as I wanted to go out with my friends and play but didn't. Actually I really love films and it really helped as it allowed me to see the outside world even if it wasn't real. Films are the only thing that would take ibs off my mind even if only for a couple of hours so I owe them a great deal.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to wath TV series, movies and play videogames but I became bored. I started to learn how to knit but you know, also redundant. I have to go back to school in February, I hope I'll be in remission so that I can go to my classes easily. It's hard to see friend, except if you invite them over. I wish I could be shopping or something. Just simple things, but outside of the home.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well i just about manage to hold a job down (i'm a cardiac rehab nurse).My social life is pretty poor though. No more eating out or even going to the pub.I make the odd trip to the cinema with my girlfriend ...may God bless her. She's been there for me through some pretty dark times over the last 12 months.I love going on the internet and football forums (and of course talking to all you wonderful chaps on here).I guess we can't let IBS ruin our lives..just try and live with it as best as possible.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yukie... i take it you have seen a Doctor and went through the things you can try that might help ease your pain and symptoms?I hope you are feeling a bit better for going back to school.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I have a gut doctor and a family doctor. They gave me some buscopan and recommended beano. My Gastroenterologist asked me to do cardio. I'm asthmatic, I'm not doing that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
in the past when my IBS-D was bad i know that i could not have gone to the gym even for one day this really is an awful illnesswith mine cured now though i go to the gym basically everydaymy cure worked really good for me no more gas or etc i see people at the gym who don't have IBS yet have worse stomach problems than me they say they cant eat whey protein powder cause it gives them the runs but i can eat it now with no runs or gas cause of my dietfor alot of people IBS can be really confuseing its not like heart disease or type 2 diabetes which are both known how to deal with and cureable. but with IBS it can be such a wide range of things that it can be hard for alot of people to cure atleast thats what im finding

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I do a bit of exercise,light jogging a couple of times a week and use the Internet a lot.I too love football and like to watch and talk about it and occasionally coach it to kids too.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Is your medicines helping any?if not maybe talk to your doctor again.If you can manage it,you could try just going out for a short walk for some fresh air when the pain is not to bad,i know that can be difficult but sometimes we really need to push ourselves to do something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yukie, if your can get your school administration to understand that you have a chronic disease (saying IBS just draw a blank stare) then it might help you get back to school. I'm in China, and if theres one thing here that counts as much as finals, it's attendance... and after getting my doctor to send my Uni a letter (and the Uni calling the doctor) I was given an OK to miss classes. My teachers have been extremely helpful and since I was a whole month out, the admin let me take the exams after holidays. I couldn't even open a book during the month I was in bed.. but now I'm feeling a lot better and I'm learning to 'control' the symptoms. It's now holidays, I'm studying and my teachers answer any questions I have through text messages and e-mails. Hope you have a good return to school, best of luck! Remember you're not alone out there :) (also, if you have a little control over your schedule, for me it helps to have all my classes at once, like that when I get home, I can rest and not have to worry about going back to school and attending another class.)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello there, thank you all for your suggestions. It means a lot to me. I really appreciate you taking a bit of your time to help me. Diana, it helps a bit but you know, there's not a lot of medecine out there for chronic abdominal pain. Meboubou, that's a good idea. I'll ask my doctor about writing me a letter. Since I work on daytime, I go to school after work, in the evening, so it's one class per night. I guess I should be able to manage to go to school too!

·
Registered
15 Posts
get a ps3when i feel aweful i sleep or play online, it takes you away from remembering it hurts.also reading does the same thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
lolz I was just thinking that I wish I could get out of my house and then this thought occured to me that I have a backyard and that's sorta out of the house, but then I realized that its like -3 out so that plans scratched until summer T_T If you have something fun revolving outside the house plz tell me i'd love to here it :] (snowmen are not my friends this year)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts