Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IBS-D (8 years) is by far the worst in the morning. I am currently planning a management program with my doctor. I have been undergoing several tests to rule out other items (a reinvestigation as the past year things have gotten a lot worse). My worst time of day is definitely the morning. I have a hard time getting out of the house. I am frequently late dropping my kids at childcare and getting to work. Mostly because I need to take a bus to work and I can't take the bus if I have D as there is no place to get off for an emergency bathroom trip. How do you manage morning difficulties?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Getting up a bit earlier sometimes helps. Have you tried the Calcium 3X a day with meals, and/or Imodium a couple of times a day. Maybe try it at bed time and again right when you get up. It does take awhile to kick in so taking it early enough it will be working by the time you need to leave may help.You might avoid breakfast until you get to work as eating tends to increase even more the normal morning increase in colon activity and avoiding coffee or other stimulants until the morning stuff is passed may be wise.If it is just the IBS you might need something like Lotronex or an antidepressant to get better control of the over-reaction of the gut to the normal morning increase in activity.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting up earlier has never helped but thanks for the suggestion. If anything it makes it worse. I never eat until I get to the office and I usually don't eat until I have been there an hour or two. So the bowels start moving without any ingestion stimulation. I am up at 6am. Leave the house at 7am and don't have breakfast until 8/9am. I do have a morning cup of decaffeinated tea around 8am as well. I might switch back to peppermint tea first thing in the morning.I have just had a bunch of tests completed, so I hadn't tried the calcium protocol yet. My doctor laughed at the mere suggestion. Now that all the testing is done I think I will give it a try. Immodium is horrible for me. It makes me feel so bloated I can't eat. Then a few days later I am locked in the bathroom for the whole day. I will talk to the doctor about the anti-depressant to help calm the morning over activity. That sounds nice to me.I had a small bowel follow through exam today where I was told that things move very quickly through my system. I guess the exam normally takes 2-3 hours to complete. I was out in under an hour as things moved so quickly. Sounds like I definitely need to find a way to calm things down.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The colon is always more active when you get up no matter when you eat or don't eat. Eating will add to that, but not eating won't stop the fact your colon knows you woke up/dawn happened and it is time for it to also get up and start its day with a burst of activity.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have the same syptoms as I do, but I find if I don't eat I get it worse I always get up 2 hours before take a anti d tablet as soon as you get up and see if that helps I tried the calcium did not help me.If I have a bad day I find if I take 4 tablets it makes the next day liveable but I never get constipated and never have a day when I do not open the bowels don't eat big meals and I would not drink any warm drinks before you eat especially first thing if you can just drink water no fruit juices either.Getting stressed does not help either.I seem to go through periods that I am worse than others when I think I am starting to feel normal bam it hits without warning, but I still get up early when I have to be anywhere as then I know what the day is going to be like also when I am going through a bad period I take a anti d tablet after tea.I hope this helps you a bit we all seem to be different what works for one does not always work for the other.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I am always in the bathroom lots in the morning and have real loose stool not complete D, I take half a imodium before bed and at 6.30am take a whole imodium, I get up at 7.30am and am in the bathroom with loose stools as soon as i get up, then I eat breakfast then I am back in again with loose stools. Its usually not untill after9am that I am ok, but if my anxiety is bad I will go more.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I used to have to get up at 6am and take 2 immodiums straight away. I still had a real nightmare getting to work for 9.00. I did try taking the tablets the night before as well but they never seemed to work unless I was up and walking around. I had to take immodiums everyday and that seemed to keep things a bit more manageable. After 2 -3 hours the tablets would start to kick in a bit and then I would manage to drive for 20 mins to work. I did have to tell my boss as I was often late and there isn't a thing you can do if your still on the toilet.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Try a low carb diet. Try a healing diet.Try a healing program. If you want link to them I can send them to you.CalciumAntioxidants, PM Overitnow.Try Probiotics.Try Digestive enzymesTry boswelliaRemove toxinsCombinations of healing diet with supplements have made big differences for me.

·
Registered
908 Posts
These are some healing programs that I have read, and some used and have helped.Candida diet. Even if you dont have Candida issues it is a good diet and will help rebalance your gut flora. there are other candida sites but I followed this on and was very helpful.http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/"Listen to your Gut" by Jini Patel Thompson. I'm currently using some of the healing protocals and they seem to be working good. Many diets depending on what your issues are. Helped me get through a flare in less than a week.http://www.listen2yourgut.com/http://www.jptwellnesscircle.comRestoring your Digestive health.http://www.amazon.com/Restoring-Your-Diges...3323&sr=1-2Down load the free PDF from this site. You can buy book too. My Nutrionist put me on a similar plan when I started. It helped very much.http://www.drdahlman.com/If you have any questions please let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.