Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that when I eat chocolate,especially on an empty stomach or it being milk chocolate.Later in the day I have D.Who else has a problem with chocolate.I think I read that chocolate was hard on the IBS,etc.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Did you ask that the other day? Someone did and I told my little story. Well, I apologize for boring you and the board again with the same story. I got IBS the first time after surviving two weeks of an antibiotic, then eating two pieces of See's chocolate the last day. All hell broke loose --cold sweats, diarrhea, cramps from hell. That was my introduction to IBS and it's never been as bad since -- and I haven't dared eat any chocolate. The diet the doctor gave me has chocolate on the "Avoid" list as an irritant. I DID try an Ensure with chocolate a few weeks ago, and sure enough -- running again!

G

·
Allinots,I, too, have a major problem with chocolate. I'd say it's number 2 on my list of no-no's - right after beans. Unfortunately, I love chocolate more than any other food on earth! I could eat it 3 times a day and never get tired of it if my body would let me - but it won't. Most carbohydrates cause me problems, but some are definitely worse than others. Debbie

G

·
ME2! I love chocolate. Actually, I'm a choc-aholic. I never really go long enough without it to test if it's a big trigger for the IBS. Probably is though.....

·
Registered
674 Posts
How do I handle chocolate? With two hands!!!*L* I love chocolate, and if I really want it, I have it. I haven't seen it as a trigger for me...but I can eat beans too...my hubby makes the best Boston baked beans..yum. I do however, eat a lot of fiber, so the beans don't seem to be a problem...I just include them as part of my daily fiber intake that day.Those of you who can't have chocolate, I have great sympathy for you. That's downright mean.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Gee I am not a big chocolate fan but I guess I can eat it no special problem. Of course the only time I usually would eat it is at holiday time and there is so much else to eat to mess up your system then too. Funny I can eat beans too I can eat Mexican food with no problem but chinese food which I love sends me running to the bathroom within a half hour.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know why but if I eat something like chocolate pound cake with a meal it's not as bad, but if chocolate in poundcake form if what I get in chocolate then I'll take it.Pound cake is my favorite.

·
Registered
728 Posts
You know, this thread really got me to thinking...I don't like chocolate. I never have been a big fan of it, but the last couple of years I haven't liked it AT ALL. Then, I saw this thread and wondered...I have recently given up bread, pastas, rice, etc., - which I just love to eat, esp. bread - because I have found out it gives me D. Now that I have made that association, I look at that fresh baked loaf and just go "gaaaaack." So, this got me to thinking....do you suppose chocolate bothers me too, and I just unconsciously made that association? And I wonder what other foods I don't like because they actually bother me? I think I am going to put this to the test....thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Well, I am going by what my GI said when I asked why I could eat all-butter pound cake but not butter itself. That was his answer, "Because it's baked in," and I assumed it meant because it changed its digestibility in that form. Maybe we need Flux here, too?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I love chocolate anything and everything. I don't think chocolate bothers me in and of itself, but the fat and sugar in candy or rich desserts can sometimes trigger D. Whatever you do, avoid any candy made with sorbitol or mannitol. A half-hour after trying one of these sugar-free candies I set a land-speed record to the bathroom!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
There are a few circumstances where "digestibility" is affected that I know of. Gluten in wheat makes its carbohydrates "hard to digest". I believe that some starches become "hard to digest" if they had been frozen. We don't really know why these things are, they might somehow interfere with the carbohydrate binding to their enzymes. [This message has been edited by flux (edited 08-01-1999).]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Someone mentioned Sorbitol and Mannitol in this thread. I have one thing to say about it: Don't go there. I got a sugar-free candy thing at a store in the mall one day. Then proceeded to the movies to watch Titanic. Just as the boat was going down, I was running to the bathroom. Missed the whole friggin' best scene! I'm sure that one or the other of those ingredients was in the chocolate from hell that I ate. That stuff is bad news!

G

·
well, I was practically a chocoholic, but in more than 9 months, I've only had one small peice. I gave it up when I learned it was a big no-no for people with acid reflux problems. (I've heard that chocolate also is typically bad for the colon -- supposed to overstimulate it or something.)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hmmmm.. There seems to be a pattern here. Milk chocolate is worse than dark, and I too find not that I can't, or maybe I just don't recall. Dark chocolate is yummy occasionally, milk makes me sick before it gets to my mouth...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Chocolate - I love it. But it don't love me. My reason is that I have GERD and the chocolate actually weakens the muscle that is between the stomach and esophogus. This in turn causes more acid reflux with me. This is a known fact to stay away from it if you suffer from GERD like me, - but do I listen - heck no. I eat it sometimes when I really have an urge and just keep it to a minimum. Oh, well almost always. The other night I sat and ate a whole bag of M & M's with almonds. Two biggest no no's, chocolate and nuts. I have to tell you that I was so sick the next morning I kicked my self in the ass for doing it. Did not feel better until about 4pm that day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.