Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My symptoms change quite often and I begin to question if it's still IBS or something new....is there any stable element that could put my mind at ease that it's just more of the same thing? For example, I had only pain for 8 years. Then the last two years I developed fluctuation in bowel movements with mostly constipation. Then this past year I have been to the emergency room twice with intense pain in upper right quadrant. Now my hormones are so screwed up I can't think straight and every symptom is exacerbated. Sometimes I have shortness of breath, sometimes I am faint and light headed with a very empty feeling in my stomach. All of this happening randomly is confusing. Any light on the subject?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Look at the thread on IBS and hormones. Eric just directed me to some research on this. There appears to be a very strong connection.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Look at the thread on IBS and hormones. Eric just directed me to some research on this. There appears to be a very strong connection.

·
Registered
922 Posts
bfleck, if you've been under the care of a MD and have taken the tests that rule out anything organic,thus IBS. The one thing that might put you at ease is that with the long time you've had these problems, if they weren't just IBS, you wouldn't be here now. I know that doesn't stop this condition and it seems to be a lifetime problem for most of us, therapies such as selfhypnosis and newer meds(if they will let them on the market!) do offer some help. Don't give up, get a positive attitude and pick a direction and keep working for a better life. Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
922 Posts
bfleck, if you've been under the care of a MD and have taken the tests that rule out anything organic,thus IBS. The one thing that might put you at ease is that with the long time you've had these problems, if they weren't just IBS, you wouldn't be here now. I know that doesn't stop this condition and it seems to be a lifetime problem for most of us, therapies such as selfhypnosis and newer meds(if they will let them on the market!) do offer some help. Don't give up, get a positive attitude and pick a direction and keep working for a better life. Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
If your symptoms change it might be time to get a check up, depending on when your last visit was and although I am posting some information, make sure you aren't self diagnosing and work with your doctor on this.Hormones play a part in IBS.Serotonin a neurotransmitter plays a big part in IBS and regulates mood, sleep, emotions and digestion.I would read this, these are top doctors in IBS.Toward a Positive and Comprehensive Diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome Yehuda Ringel, MD, and Douglas A. Drossman, MD, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill Dr. Ringel is an internist and gastroenterologist from Tel Aviv Medical Center, Israel, and a visiting scientist at University of North Carolina, and Dr. Drossman is Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry, The University of North Carolina Center for Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022115.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
If your symptoms change it might be time to get a check up, depending on when your last visit was and although I am posting some information, make sure you aren't self diagnosing and work with your doctor on this.Hormones play a part in IBS.Serotonin a neurotransmitter plays a big part in IBS and regulates mood, sleep, emotions and digestion.I would read this, these are top doctors in IBS.Toward a Positive and Comprehensive Diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome Yehuda Ringel, MD, and Douglas A. Drossman, MD, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill Dr. Ringel is an internist and gastroenterologist from Tel Aviv Medical Center, Israel, and a visiting scientist at University of North Carolina, and Dr. Drossman is Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry, The University of North Carolina Center for Functional Gastrointestinal and Motility Disorders, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/022115.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When every day is a new adventure in bowel habits it can be hard to know when to go to the doctor for a full evaluation.If you have upper right quadrant pain bad enough to go the ER you need to go to the regular doc and get your gallbladder checked out.Generally my rule is if something new, particularly if it is a big change from the normal pattern (like always C now D or always D now C) or causes unusual amounts of pain or discomfort see the doctor. If a previously effective treatment fails completely (IBS fluxuates so most treatments will only control some % of the disorder so an occasional problem isn't a treatment failure, but a it no longer works at all after a couple of weeks is another matter) it is also time to see the doctor.Alot of the time it may very well be just the IBS, but sometimes it isn't. Severe upper right quadrant pain and severe lower right quadrant pain should be checked out for gall bladder and appendix respectively.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When every day is a new adventure in bowel habits it can be hard to know when to go to the doctor for a full evaluation.If you have upper right quadrant pain bad enough to go the ER you need to go to the regular doc and get your gallbladder checked out.Generally my rule is if something new, particularly if it is a big change from the normal pattern (like always C now D or always D now C) or causes unusual amounts of pain or discomfort see the doctor. If a previously effective treatment fails completely (IBS fluxuates so most treatments will only control some % of the disorder so an occasional problem isn't a treatment failure, but a it no longer works at all after a couple of weeks is another matter) it is also time to see the doctor.Alot of the time it may very well be just the IBS, but sometimes it isn't. Severe upper right quadrant pain and severe lower right quadrant pain should be checked out for gall bladder and appendix respectively.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I had a bunch of testing a year ago in September including a CT scan -- nothing showed up. I have a really pretty, photographic gallbladder -- it's been pictured several times over the years. Not a thing is wrong with it. I am to see my internist the 22nd -- takes months to get in to see him and he's not a lot of help. I need a new doctor but know of no one in the Sacramento, California area with any knowledge of this chronic problem. My regular MD keeps trying to send me to a psychiatrist. I did it for a year and it was useless. I quit when the psychiatrist was arrested as a pedophile -- that really helped. ha. It's been very discouraging as you all know. I guess I get paranoid at times and find it difficult to cope. Thanks again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I had a bunch of testing a year ago in September including a CT scan -- nothing showed up. I have a really pretty, photographic gallbladder -- it's been pictured several times over the years. Not a thing is wrong with it. I am to see my internist the 22nd -- takes months to get in to see him and he's not a lot of help. I need a new doctor but know of no one in the Sacramento, California area with any knowledge of this chronic problem. My regular MD keeps trying to send me to a psychiatrist. I did it for a year and it was useless. I quit when the psychiatrist was arrested as a pedophile -- that really helped. ha. It's been very discouraging as you all know. I guess I get paranoid at times and find it difficult to cope. Thanks again.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Greetings,I have ALWAYS had this problem. When is it time to go the Dr. and when is it not? I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) which tends to manifest itself in physical symptoms. Every one of which I worry about. Over a period of time the symptoms change. One of the symptoms is IBS-D. I never know what�s real and what�s not. The last time I had a bad GAD time was about 5 years�when my IBS first started. I think I probably had 12 Dr. visits in 2-3 months. Visiting the Dr. became a quick fix that satisfied my GAD. I have seen a Dr. more times that I care to count for what I was sure was gonna be appendicitis�.never was�.heart attack�.never was�..etc, etc. etc. I�ve seen a Dr. for everything imaginable�.so now it�s hard for me to decide when to go and when not to.I�m not sure what the answer is. I try to relax and that helps. Many times during and after relaxation my symptoms (no matter what they are will go away.)..sometimes not.Happy Day,KARL

·
Registered
428 Posts
Greetings,I have ALWAYS had this problem. When is it time to go the Dr. and when is it not? I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) which tends to manifest itself in physical symptoms. Every one of which I worry about. Over a period of time the symptoms change. One of the symptoms is IBS-D. I never know what�s real and what�s not. The last time I had a bad GAD time was about 5 years�when my IBS first started. I think I probably had 12 Dr. visits in 2-3 months. Visiting the Dr. became a quick fix that satisfied my GAD. I have seen a Dr. more times that I care to count for what I was sure was gonna be appendicitis�.never was�.heart attack�.never was�..etc, etc. etc. I�ve seen a Dr. for everything imaginable�.so now it�s hard for me to decide when to go and when not to.I�m not sure what the answer is. I try to relax and that helps. Many times during and after relaxation my symptoms (no matter what they are will go away.)..sometimes not.Happy Day,KARL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.