Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys... this may seem a real weird one.I underwent some tests yesterday, including a 'Balloon Expulsion Test'.In short, and without being too gruesome, a stool size balloon was inserted into me and I was asked to push it out.I couldn't - apparently people with normal functioning bowels can do so easily. This is an indicator to pelvic floor dysfunction.It appears I am 'pushing' in the wrong place. My body has trained itself incorrectly.I have never thought about this before, but I have always pushed in the rectum, around where the stool comes out.Should I be pushing through the diagphram/stomach instead? What does a 'normal' person do!!Guess I will find out in a few weeks at my follow up...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think in a lot of places it isn't so much you can't push with the right muscles, but that you do not relax the sphincter at the right time.If it tightens when you push rather than relaxes it really doesn't matter where you push from. You can't push harder than the tight sphincter holds.

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I was undergoing chemotherapy I had constipation problems, and my Macmillan nurse taught me how to "go to the toilet" lol.You sit on the loo with your legs open, slightly leaning forward, and with your hands on your thighs. This position apparently opens the sphincter. You breathe in and out deeply, but with the "out" breath taking longer than the "in" one, pushing down with your abdomen. Those who know about yoga will find this easy. As you start to feel as if you might "go", gently rock backward and forwards, still doing the breathing as before, then start to push out, almost "breathing" out the stool.Well, we laughed, but it sure worked for me!By the way, now that I have ibsd I never need to use that technique lol!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have had the 'Balloon Expulsion Test' then Biofeedback,that is retraining of the bowels.I was told to sit on the toilet,feet on a small step making sure knees are slightly higher than your hips,arms resting on your legs,making sure you feel comfortable that way and when you feel the urge push down at back passage to try and expel stool and at the same time push out your abdomen/tummy muscles.I have been finding this difficult to do,but will carry on in the hope it helps one day.I am sure at your next appointment they should go through your results with you and what will happen next.I have no idea what a 'normal' person does as i am not normal when it comes to the bowel department!ha!ha!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.