Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tummy from groaning and growling so loud that everyone in the room looks at you
?I can not go anywhere or do anything that involves a quiet room because I have this darn stomach gas or whatever it is that keeps making very loud sounds and I get quite embarrassed!Anyone have any home remedies or know of any meds that will make it STOP?Jleigh

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Jleigh. just some info.Do you eat at irregular times in the day? Just curious.Ever tried peppermint for it?I am sure stress probably effects this, as well as it making noises and then we may focus on it and it probably gets worse even. You gotta love the gut and the brain, especially with IBS.
https://www.med.miami.edu/patients/glossary...articlekey=6689 http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug98...95701.Me.r.html This was pretty good and interesting also really. http://www.surgerydoor.co.uk/level2/patexp_IBS_case.shtml

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I suffer from loud rumblings too and I really would like a cure its sooo embarresing I really feel for you JLeigh. I cannot stand meetings, any quiet rooms, and it is soo hard at the start of a realtionship say if you're going to watch a quiet movie or going to stay over, it totally messes with your life because my stomach is so loud at times people always comment and say 'god what was that!' But it dons't matter whether I need to go to the loo or have just been, if it feels like making noises then it will. usually at quiet times just to spite me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the exact same thing. When I first starting dating my fiance I was so embarrassed by these noises.
He was great about it, though, and it sort of became a joke. His mom has IBS so he is more understanding. Sometimes when I am out, people will say I sound hungry and better eat, so I just go along with that and say I haven't eaten lunch or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eric that last link was really good, JLeigh you should read it. Im so glad someone has the same feelings as me, for years I thought its only me, ive been suffereing from sounds since assemblys at school. I have recently started seeing this guy and I am at the stage of making any excuse of getting away when we are in a quiet place and he has already asked why I don't stay at his house. I think the thing to do is stop worrying about it. hard though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi I think I should maybe start making a joke of it then! Its not easy though is it, I never want to stay at his house because its quiet in the night and my stomach always wakes me up. I honestly thought i must be the only person who has this! im so pleasedf im not!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I remember those days (or nights) too. I feel like I stayed awake half the night because I was so afraid I'd make some embarrassing noise. It took quite a while before I felt comfortable enough to just say, what the heck, if he really loves me, he'll be there no matter what noises my stomach makes! And he's still here and we're getting married in 4 weeks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
When I lived in a college dorm, one of the biggest treats for breakfast was homemade, fried in fat - right in front of you - donuts! I loved them! Every time I ate one, my stomach (or whatever!) would make horrendous noises in class! It took me a while to figure out it was the donuts doing it! I can't believe I ate that stuff! I wouldn't think of it now!The other day at a staff meeting, my stomach was grumbling so much that one of my co-workers got up and left the room to bring me a package of pretzles! He thought I was starving!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wow, it feels great to know that I am not alone in this too! I always thought I was a freak or my stomach was possessed when it made these noises. Eric, that last link is really great. Everyone should read that. The things that person said are so true. I am ashamed and resentful of something I cannot control and it makes me want to conceal it and sometimes myself too. Since my IBS changed and I now get diarrhea, I have just wanted to stay at home and hide. It's been really hard to get out and get my life back, but I'm working on it. That link gave me some more courage.R

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I am glad the links helped.Its very important to know there are ways tomanage IBS for most people, almost everyone.The first part of it after diatgnoses is education for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Im so pleased theres people that go through embarressment this too. I stayed at my boyfriends last night and yes I spent most of the night awake but I actually made it through the night instead of leaving at 2am with no explanation! Thats a breakthrough! ha ha!! I think I actually managed to relax a little bit too and that last link of Erics helped me do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.