Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if anyone here can help. how do you cope with social gatherings and unpredictable ibs?

I know many extroverts who are so driven to be with people their ibs wouldn't stop them, they would just bring it up in conversation and get it out there lol

Maybe I should ask them how they do it. Does anyone here have phrases they use if their ibs plays up and they have to be in the bathroom for ages, or keep going back, etc? I have lived my life never talking about such things so haven't a clue unless it's a close friend and then I'd just say I've got ibs. Interested how other people here deal with these situations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wondering if anyone here can help. how do you cope with social gatherings and unpredictable ibs?

I know many extroverts who are so driven to be with people their ibs wouldn't stop them, they would just bring it up in conversation and get it out there lol

Maybe I should ask them how they do it. Does anyone here have phrases they use if their ibs plays up and they have to be in the bathroom for ages, or keep going back, etc? I have lived my life never talking about such things so haven't a clue unless it's a close friend and then I'd just say I've got ibs. Interested how other people here deal with these situations.
I think it depends on how you deal with IBS. I've known people that will sit through social gatherings dealing with constant pain but act like nothing is wrong, and I've also known people that are the opposite. I'm somebody who is quick to excuse myself from a gathering when a bad flare-up comes on because then people start asking what's wrong, and I feel as if I'm distracting them from having fun. I'm very much an introvert, but I think I'm inadvertently an open book when I do start talking to people (a bit too open at times probably). So, I have no problem telling some people that I barely know about what I'm going through if it's happening. If you're not comfortable, just play it off like you ate too much spicy food or something. It happens to the best of us!

I view it as everybody deals with their own problems, big or small and public or private, so I don't really worry about judgment or anything. If they want to judge, it is what it is. "Try on these shoes," lol.

·
Registered
IBD-A
3 Posts
One of the best ways i used to say it without feeling embarrassed or like i had to provide details was, I would say I’m having a “flare up”. Even after that you might get questions about what that means. You don’t have to disclose anything you aren’t comfortable discussing. You could also say you suffer from gastro issues. They don’t need to know details about what happens behind the door. I try to use humor too, “you don’t want to know”! It is always hard trying to get people to understand an illness they cannot see. So I hope that someday you gain the confidence to feel comfortable talking about it. It’s one of the hardest things to discuss and most embarrassing, i know.
I always watch what I’m eating even a couple’s days before an event and during the event, to try to avoid any flare ups. Carry any medications with you at all times too just in case.
Plus it’s always OK to pull a good ol’ Irish goodbye and slip out the back without saying a word if you have to!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wish there was a lot more awareness. There are so many out there that have IBS issues; but no one wants to talk about it. I am sure there are many that do; and sometimes through casual conversation the topic comes up. Others I had no idea they had Crohns, and we started talking about our own flare ups etc. It was good to have a conversation with others that understand what you go through. It was by chance another topic came up; and I had to state why I couldn't be stationed at a console for a couple hours straight, because of my IBS, that may arise. That was when I found out they couldn't commit to that either. Also, same with those that have to wear diapers out at times, and have to change in restrooms or their car. We all have to deal with it, many do, but we hide it from everyone. I think more need to be aware millions of people out there have these conditions. We shouldn't have to be ashamed or feel weird about it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree explaining ibs to others is hard, and honestly I don’t know how to do it. Currently I’m in a lot of pain due to being extremely constipated. People ask if I’m ok and obviously I can’t tell them what’s really going on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts