Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have been in the ER for my vomiting, the dr.'s have given me Metoclopramide. After my doc visit yesterday, I told her every time they give that to me, my back cramps up in unbelievable pain. She said its because its a motility drug, and makes your bowel muscles move. Why would this be given to me for nausea and vomiting?
, Marriah

·
Registered
170 Posts
A co-worker of mine was on this drug (brand name Reglan) for constant nasuea. The thinking behind it was that her stomach wasn't emptying properly, so this drug was supposed to move everything on it's way, rather than coming back up from whence it came.

·
Registered
170 Posts
A co-worker of mine was on this drug (brand name Reglan) for constant nasuea. The thinking behind it was that her stomach wasn't emptying properly, so this drug was supposed to move everything on it's way, rather than coming back up from whence it came.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:She said its because its a motility drug, and makes your bowel muscles move.
It mainly speeds up stomach emptying, although it's not clear how they determined that was the cause for your symptoms. Gut motility does not cause pain on its own, so the drug must be doing something else to do that, but I don't know what exactly.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:She said its because its a motility drug, and makes your bowel muscles move.
It mainly speeds up stomach emptying, although it's not clear how they determined that was the cause for your symptoms. Gut motility does not cause pain on its own, so the drug must be doing something else to do that, but I don't know what exactly.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Metoclopramide is partially a cholinergic agonist and as such it could conceivably stir up the colon, so it may affect the diarrhea making worse or even better. But in general, it works primarily on stomach and the upper small intestine and probably won't it affect it much.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Metoclopramide is partially a cholinergic agonist and as such it could conceivably stir up the colon, so it may affect the diarrhea making worse or even better. But in general, it works primarily on stomach and the upper small intestine and probably won't it affect it much.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Have you tried Zofran for your nausea and vomiting ? I would get so much nausea and vomiting when my IBS-D got really bad ....Thank God I haven'thad to throw-up one time in a little over 5 months...I still have 1/2 a bottleof Zofran at the house.....I hope you feel better soon.... There is nothing worse then that feeling of horrible nausea....

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Have you tried Zofran for your nausea and vomiting ? I would get so much nausea and vomiting when my IBS-D got really bad ....Thank God I haven'thad to throw-up one time in a little over 5 months...I still have 1/2 a bottleof Zofran at the house.....I hope you feel better soon.... There is nothing worse then that feeling of horrible nausea....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.