Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 25 year old male. I have had normal bathroom habits for my entire life, other than the occasional short lived diarreah or constipation...until a month ago.A month ago I got constipated. I tried everything to get better with no success. I went to the doc after 10 days and he prescribed me lactulose. I took this and became regular again within 3 days, so I discontinued the med. Shortly after i started having lower left abdominal pain and then the constipation came back. Now I am constipated with occasional diarrhea. Constant throbbing pain. I have trouble sleeping due to the pain and discomfort. Lots of gas and bloating. This has been going on for a month now, I'm thinking about going back to see the doc again this week if it doesn't improve.After a lot of internet research I am starting to think that I am developing IBS. Is this how it typically starts?And as a side note, I did have appendicitis about 5 years ago and had it removed, so at least I don't have to worry about that anymore!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
It is a bit too early to tell yet hon.. Could just be a fluky time for your gut. Just make sure you are eating enough fiber & drinking enough water. If you find yourself getting constipated alot you might want to include some prune juice etc in your diet.But unfortunately according to the ROME criteria, one has to have symptoms for 12 weeks. So keep track of things til then. Pay attention to when you are having C and D. You can keep a food diary... as that might help you later on, if in fact you do have IBS, to discover any food triggers.I'm hoping you do not have it but see how it goes.Here is out info page on diagnosis: http://www.ibsgroup.org/diagnosisAll the best

1 - 2 of 2 Posts